KDE Plasma 5.14 Beta Brings Many Improvements, Especially Wayland Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not even the Intel developers have figured it out as Plasma Wayland also segfaults on my Intel card. Both on my previous as well as my current laptop.
    When using KWin Wayland session in Debian testing with AMD Vega 56 GPU (connected over DisplayPort), it cores right after log-in and falls back into sddm. I managed...

Comment

Too bad Linux is crap when it comes to updating things.
      I'm still stuck to KDE Plasma version 5.12 on Kubuntu 18.04 and I tried everything to make it update to 5.13 but nothing works of course.
      But this is Linux...
      which updates programs when you don't want to,
      and you can't update programs when you want to.
      I will never understand what's so fucking hard to copy Windows where you can download a binary from the maker's website and install it whenever you want. That is freedom!
      And on Linux I have to wait months or years until some guy compiles it and sends it down the pipe for that distro. Why Linux has to be so far behind Windows in this area?
      So, I bet it will take at least a year until I can use 5.14 on my distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I'm still stuck to KDE Plasma version 5.12 on Kubuntu 18.04 and I tried everything to make it update to 5.13 but nothing works of course.
        But this is Linux...
        I'm on 5.13.4 so change your distro if you want to stop whining about it.

Use your install procedure to lock the programs you don;t want to update
        I will never understand what's so fucking hard to copy Windows where you can download a binary from the maker's website and install it whenever you want. That is freedom!
        No-one want to copy the Windows install process because its shit, it takes ages to install 1 program and then you invariably need to reboot for it to complete the install. If a developer provides a RPM (or whatever) of his/her program for your system, you can download/install whenever you like.
        And on Linux I have to wait months or years until some guy compiles it and sends it down the pipe for that distro. Why Linux has to be so far behind Windows in this area?
        Change your distro. Linux is way ahead of Windows on installation, installing stuff on Windows makes me want to tear my hair out while a beard grows waiting for it to complete.

Comment

What about reducing RAM/CPU usage? Nothing? Still?

Comment

But this is Linux...
            Literally nothing you said on your post is true.

Just to keep on the Windows side of things, I spent the last 2 days upgrading the marvelously fast, down your throat, Windows 10 upgrades in lab machines. And you talk about having things upgraded when you do not want to on Linux? Go learn how things work kid, before you post embarrassing things like that again.

Comment

Thanks! Seems like libwayland bug, according to this commentary.
              Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 15 September 2018, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Not yet. Still happening and neither KDE nor AMD developers figured it out yet. Are you using AMD GPU?
                Thing is I'm using Intel and it still crashes. The crash is so bad that the key combination for killing the session does nothing, and switching ttys doesn't work. I have to SSH from my phone and restart sddm in order to fix the issue..

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I personally agree with the previous poster, however, I do agree with you that for a few things, like applying themes and mouse settings, the Apply button is nice. But for the majority of settings, I like the instantaneous ones.
                  For potentially dangerous settings, there is already a "preview state" which is used with e.g. display resolution changes in e.g. GNOME.

It will show you the new state for 15 seconds and only commit to it if you actively click the "keep settings" button. By default, it reverts to the previous settings if the new settings haven't been actively accepted. My guess (and I obviously haven't looked at the code) is that this would need a "potentially dangerous" settings flag.

As for defaults, each drop down menu (which cannot be replaced by a slider) could come with an explicit (Default) setting at the top (or a (Default) tip next to the default setting) which you can always scroll back to if you manage to mess it up by accident.

But the more salient point is that the amount of options you are exposed to in a GUI should not overwhelm you out of the box. Having a million configurables on a single page is not good UI design due to how the human brain is hardwired to only be able to hold around 4 chunks in working memory at the time (earlier it was thought to be 5 +/- 2).

Finally, for people who need or have become accustomed to a very specific set of settings, it is probably a good idea to offer an API for settings changes, such that the settings can be encapsulated in a set of commandline invocations akin to sysctl settings or gsettings. That way, you can capture your special settings and version control them, which is also useful in a system administration context.

I'm guessing KDE already offers this scripted configuration functionality?

Anyway, I'm an amateur when it comes to this stuff. This is just my current view which is obviously subject to change as I learn more. =)

Comment

But this is Linux...
                    You are confusing Ubuntu and its variants with GNU/Linux. Ubuntu is just a distribution of GNU/Linux software. If you are not satisfied with how they are distributing/configuring/compiling/updating their software, then find another distro more suited to your needs. It is not rocket science.

For what is worth, i agree, Ubuntu/Mint are shit. They have been using a severely outdated release/update scheme for more than a decade, with no signs of changing. They are satisfied with just letting their users add random ppas to get the latest updates. I am willing to bet that most Ubuntu users have almost no "official" canonical .deb package installed at this point, with all those ppas they use for everything... I have never met anyone who runs canonical packages. Most add ppas for latest kernel/mesa/DE/libreoffice/browsers/compilers/IDEs and the list goes on. At that point their installation becomes a frankenstein monster of various repositories that most are just amateur third parties with whatever this means for security and stability. Canonical is mostly used for their installer at this point...

I am willing to bet that Canonical would be much better off re-basing their distro to use official Archlinux packages, instead of Debian. And shortening their release cycle, while simultaneously allowing for more regular updates to most non-critical software. But they won't do that...

Comment

But this is Linux...
                      5.13 is only a testing release for 5.14 at this point. But even so: there are distros on which it is already available, so what you actually mean is "Ubuntu is crap". Switch to a rolling release distro if you want the latest and greatest.

Comment

Working...
                      X