No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.14 Beta Brings Many Improvements, Especially Wayland Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kde plasma is just amazing. Don't think I can go back to any other WM/DE now and I had been using gnome2/mate for over 8 years. My workflow is just so much more fast, efficient and eye-pleasing now. Sometimes its hard to believe that this is free software.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
      Kde plasma is just amazing. Don't think I can go back to any other WM/DE now and I had been using gnome2/mate for over 8 years. My workflow is just so much more fast, efficient and eye-pleasing now. Sometimes its hard to believe that this is free software.
      Whenever I try it out, I get confused by the iconography. It's not that it isn't pretty -- it certainly is -- it's probably just a side effect of me being so accustomed to the GNOME HIG that the extra/different visual information I'm presented with on KDE overwhelms me.

About the only thing I can put my finger on (apart from me being accustomed to the GNOME HIG) is that I actively prefer the paradigm where settings changes are instantaneous and settings dialogs only have a "Reset" and a "Close" button. My argument is that on KDE, if you change a setting and move on to another settings pane without pressing "Apply" or "OK", a pop up dialog appears asking if I want to save the settings changes I just made.

That to me is evidence of a poor UX paradigm, as it clearly doesn't do what I expect and needs to resort to extra questions instead of just assuming that, yes, I clicked a setting because I really, truly wanted to change it and and I actively expect it to be changed once I ask it to change by interacting with it.

It also results in the weird situation where the view (the settings I see) and the model (the settings which are currently in effect) are intermittently out of sync until I press "Apply" or "OK". I get that this behaviour is similar to the old MS Windows paradigm of settings changes, but I would like to point out that I believe this changed with Metro and Modern UI (and of course Android and iOS), meaning that this paradigm is no longer universal -- quite the opposite in fact.

But maybe I'm just old and resistant to change. In many other areas KDE appears to be an excellent product. =)
      Last edited by ermo; 14 September 2018, 02:05 AM.

Comment

KDE plasma is a good DE that i really want to love but it never was stable in the last decade... Yeah yeah i know a lot of people will jump and say "but but on my grandma's laptop who only opens chromium and uses facebook it works perfectly" but for most of us stability is still a problem with it. I have to admit that it has improved considerably this year ofcourse. And that is why i switched from Gnome and i am happy for the time being. On xorg session. Because plasma wayland is still trash on 5.13 . And i don't think from what i read from 5.14 changelog that this will really change this october. Plasma is still way behind in wayland support.

What worries me is that as Plasma begins to be a relatively stable and usable DE after many years of catastrophe, QT6 is on the horizon, and as a result, KDE 6... I just hope the cycle won't repeat again.

Rock solid KDE 3 --- > KDE 4.0 abomination --> KDE 4 becomes somewhat usable --> Plasma 5 instability ---> Plasma 5 becomes good ---> Plasma 6=?

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
          Let me be the first to say that I'm happy kde user. I'm just waiting for the day to use wayland on kde. Currently it's not much worth it, but I'd say that for any DE atm
          Gnome has worked well under Wayland for a long time.

Comment

Any chance they fixed the segmentation fault while using Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by MihaiBojescu View Post
              Any chance they fixed the segmentation fault while using Wayland?
              Which one? I do use it every day and it is very stable.

Comment

Does current KDE on Wayland support stable xdg_shell and xdg_decoration? I didn't really have a time to check it...

Comment

Only if Kubuntu wasn't that slow with the backports... Tempted to switch back to KDE Neon.

Comment

Originally posted by deve View Post
                    Does current KDE on Wayland support stable xdg_shell and xdg_decoration? I didn't really have a time to check it...
                    xdg_shell stable: Yes. xdg-decoration: Not yet. Both Qt and GTK+ support our older protocol though, and we'll implement xdg-decoration soon.

Comment

Wayland multi monitor issues anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McsBzvgxNN8
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X