Former Compiz Developer Creating New Window Animation Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    That's not the whole truth at all. btrfs-scrub is not fine. It is true that it is the reason why corruption gets propagated in RAID5/6, it's also the reason why corruption gets propagated in almost every other scenario as well. It was -designed- TO propagate corruption, which it does extremely effectively. Hell, btrfs's filesystem layout was specifically designed so that btrfs-scrub could more -easily- propagate corruption. If you personally designed a filesystem layout and toolset that was designed to get corrupted, you couldn't do a better job.

EDIT: Every single day you HDD's write 3 or 4 incorrect bits. It could be a random cosmic ray, a fluctuating field line, whatever, but it happens every single day. btrfs-scrub was designed specifically -to- propagate those and it does. (And that the root cause for why RAID5-6 is still broken, in fact it's actually doing exactly what it was designed to do.)
    Illuminati called, they said you should stop posting bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

In which case -you- need to choose something else. That simple really. Go buy a mac, you'll never have the power to fix your own machine ever again. And that's exactly what your complaining about that you want.
      Well, I wouldn't recommend buying a mac either. In the last 12 months I have had my (employer-issued) macbook pro incapacitate itself with a software update. What is even worse I spent easily 10 hours trying to recover it from that state but all the info I could find was "just reinstall and restore from time-machine". While I've managed to muck my Linux install into a non-bootable state couple of times I've always been able to fix it and continue. While I agree with the previous poster with that ideally this shouldn't happen with software updates I disagree with the bit that this is a case of not being able to do "basic things" without the command line. We can make things better and should strive for it but the fact is that every software screws up sometimes and what I care about the most is that the system is debuggable and fixable.

Comment

Remember when Linux was cutting-edge and awesome?

Damn that was so long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          this is a lie. android is end user. winphone has 0%, linux has 85% of smartphone market, which is larger than desktop market
          on desktop windows maintains its percentage by monopoly abuse and by spreading lies like yours
          A very moot point, because if you were paying attention to my posts, you'd realize that my hurdles are with the OS "front" or user end, and I clearly stated that the only reason android works out as a user operating system is that it only has linux in the back end, and the frond end is engineered from the ground up and has nothing linux about it whatsoever. Which is at the core of my whole issue, as android clearly proves that a substantial clean slate effort can result in a user friendly front end, which is why I think that's what linux front end developers should be focusing their efforts rather than ever more fragmentation of the linux front end or useless eye candy.

And yes, there are many ways if which customizable GUI can boost productivity. Which is why I keep wondering why so many people keep spending so much development time on their stiff, fixed design GUI shells for linux, when what linux really needs is a truly fully customizable GUI, just expose the data layer of the shell as a model, and allow people to implement their own GUI layer, driven by it. There are a lot of linux GUI shells, some better and more useful than others, but not one that is exactly what I want it to be, or one that provides enough customizability to get it where I want it to be. So much development time wasted on GUI shells, all of which more or less a different flavor of bad, rather than making user friendly distros stable. And don't get me wrong, I don't like the GUI of windows either, but none of my complaints are about the quality of linux GUI, the problem is not in the GUI layer of the linux front end, it is in the logic layer that integrates it with the core backend. I think that is why linux does so poorly as a user operating system, because that poor integration eventually breaks things, which is also why there is no problem with linux as a server os, because in that usage scenario, that mechanism of breaking interaction doesn't take place.

As for GUI animations in particular, those are effectively just time wasters, that is both CPU and GPU time, but more importantly, precious human life time. Maybe I am just used to a high pace workflow, but having to wait the typical 250-500 msecs of time for stuff to pop up on the scree is just annoying. I honestly see no benefit in it whatsoever, now if I were someone with a childish mind, that is amused by such gimmicks, it would be a different story. And I admit, as someone who has used computers since about 1986, in the beginning I was thrilled about GUI and effects, but that enthusiasm vanished rather quickly as I grew up, got used to it and realized that efficiency is the one true top priority.

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Awwww, you're one sad dude. I can imagine you fuming over normal people just using linux and customising it to their liking, while you can't figure out how to do basic things. RUOK?
          If you have little to get excited about in your life, pointless GUI animations might be better than nothing, although I'd personally suggest that those people take the effort to find better and more meaningful amusement in life, there is plenty of that around. I am certainly not sad just because I don't find childish joys satisfactory, it is just that my standards and expectations have grown. It is actually sad people that need to clutch onto such minor straws just to get some dopamine release. I'd rather spend the resources GUI eye candy takes on better things. And I'd be much happier if linux developers put their work hours into making linux a viable user operating system rather than decorating the lousy state it currently is in, which will never really make it better where it needs to improve.
          Last edited by ddriver; 15 September 2018, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
            As for GUI animations in particular, those are effectively just time wasters, that is both CPU and GPU time, but more importantly, precious human life time. Maybe I am just used to a high pace workflow, but having to wait the typical 250-500 msecs of time for stuff to pop up on the scree is just annoying. I honestly see no benefit in it whatsoever, now if I were someone with a childish mind, that is amused by such gimmicks, it would be a different story. And I admit, as someone who has used computers since about 1986, in the beginning I was thrilled about GUI and effects, but that enthusiasm vanished rather quickly as I grew up, got used to it and realized that efficiency is the one true top priority.
            Well FWIW I agree with you and share the sentiment. But I still love Compiz due to its usability features, not eye-candy. Don't trash it just because most people use it for "wobbly windows" and other childish crap.

Comment

Originally posted by fingers View Post

Well, I wouldn't recommend buying a mac either. In the last 12 months I have had my (employer-issued) macbook pro incapacitate itself with a software update. What is even worse I spent easily 10 hours trying to recover it from that state but all the info I could find was "just reinstall and restore from time-machine". While I've managed to muck my Linux install into a non-bootable state couple of times I've always been able to fix it and continue. While I agree with the previous poster with that ideally this shouldn't happen with software updates I disagree with the bit that this is a case of not being able to do "basic things" without the command line. We can make things better and should strive for it but the fact is that every software screws up sometimes and what I care about the most is that the system is debuggable and fixable.
              Well said, very understandable and sensible.

Comment

Working...
              X