Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    LOL, that's your opinion.
    No it's not. Good UIs guide the user to things, GIMP is just a list of stuff sorted in categories. If I don't know the name of something or its location within submenus it's impossible to use.

Same as with Inkscape.

I can understand that professional software can get away with not caring too much about user-friendlyness as people will have to learn to use it anyway if they want to keep their job, and will also probably memorize keyboard shortcuts for the most common functions so they won't care where is the stuff in the menu.

But claiming it has a good UI is bs. It has a functional UI, yes, it's not "good" nor anywhere near "excellent". I don't mean it as an offence, the developers are doing a great job and it's a good tool (also Inkscape, for that matter).

Can you cite some basic functionality that has objectively easier workflow on ps?
    Umm, no? I cited Krita, not ps. And I cited it because when I need to do some (basic) image editing/filtering/whatever without knowing where stuff is beforehand I can usually find it without googling.

Comment

The GIMP UI is improved a lot since 2.6, it is not like PS but it makes sense. I mean PS is a commercial software so it need to be easy to use for newbie other wise it will never sale any copies anymore. The latest versions are heavily focused on newbie designers, everything is quite easy to achieve for newbies, before it wasn't like this. With GIMP you can achieve almost everything you can do with PS but you need to learn a lot in order to achieve professional style outcomes! It is not even a question of time, your Gimp workaround can increase of a 15% the time you need to obtain a certain outcome, and it is quite fair considering you can use GIMP for free.

The meaning is something that I repeat everywhere: floss software (like Blender) don't need to be easy to learn because aren't commercial products, if you don't like them you can buy a more user friendly software, it's easy. It doesn't mean that the UI of those floss project is perfect, sometimes is evidently the ui/ux has been designed from a coder perspective but you have your tools and you can do your job if you feel able to overpass the initial difficulties.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        LOL, that's your opinion. I curse if i need to use photoshop because it is so weird. It is all about what you are used to.
        Can you cite some basic functionality that has objectively easier workflow on ps?
        That's not how that works. What most of your target audience is familiar with, does matter. Just because you're not used to PS workflows, doesn't mean that 99% of the professional designers (presumably GIMP's target audience) isn't.

Let's say you're used to having a website's menu in the footer instead of the header. That doesn't make the choice subjective if 99% of web users are used to having the menu up to.

Comment

Working...
        X