Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 62.0 Now Available For Download With Some Wayland Fixes, CSS Variable Fonts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

I hope you submitted the corresponding patches and filed bugs in their database.
    Ah yes, the superman fallacy. "You have nothing valid in your statements because you are not superman, able to deal with all things due to the excellent combination of omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence."

The fallacy part, aside from the inability to be God and the logical lack of desire that would define such a thing, is that — given these superpowers — one wouldn't need to identify problems publicly. One would simply swoop in with one's cape and spandex and fix it all. No muss, no fuss.

I wonder how many bug trackers, though, would be able to ably deal with a bug that says the entire program needs to be fundamentally rebuilt, along with a fundamental redesigning of the standards used for Internet media (i.e. the web). Because, from my very limited vantage point as a non-superhuman with a somewhat silly Humanities degree, it seems to me that the only way that the Internet (like anything else, e.g. cell phones) can be fixed is with a complete redesign that puts privacy (information control, more formally) first. That's what it should be referred to: information control, IC. Privacy is an obfuscatory emotion-laden trap of a term.

What I see is a lot of slop atop a foundation that's not designed to let people trust that their information is their own. Perhaps if I were superman, though, I'd think differently.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidKL View Post
      Originally posted by DrYak View Post
      I hope you submitted the corresponding patches and filed bugs in their database.
      Ah yes, the superman fallacy. "You have nothing valid in your statements because you are not superman, able to deal with all things due to the excellent combination of omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence."

The fallacy part, aside from the inability to be God and the logical lack of desire that would define such a thing, is that — given these superpowers — one wouldn't need to identify problems publicly. One would simply swoop in with one's cape and spandex and fix it all. No muss, no fuss
      Just.. What... ?!?

What the hell are you talking about? What does anything above have to do with masked-man fallacies ?

Just put the bong back on the table and please put some efforts trying to follow my train of toughs.

I was just responding to this part of your message (bold emphasis mine) :
      Wishful thinking. Tor is laughable. One of the most absurd, although very droll, qualities is how it sends people "privacy-enhancing" information to Yahoo e-mail. If the people behind this charade want anyone to take them seriously they will need to do a bit more to hide their obvious intentions.

I can't believe there is so much denial in the community as intentional disinformation.
      You report having detected some information leaking when you're logged into Yahoo's webmail while using the Tor browser.
      I am just saying that I hope you've done your due diligence and reported the bug on the public bug trackers, which is the proper procedure to deal with such problems.

The official statement regarding Tor's purpose is to help browse the web anonymously. If in practice the Tor browser is leaking information that you've notice, it's a bug, and you should report the leaks you've found.

That's it. That's all. There wasn't much hidden meaning to read behind my comment.

I wonder how many bug trackers, though, would be able to ably deal with a bug that says the entire program needs to be fundamentally rebuilt, along with a fundamental redesigning of the standards used for Internet media (i.e. the web). Because, from my very limited vantage point as a non-superhuman with a somewhat silly Humanities degree, it seems to me that the only way that the Internet (like anything else, e.g. cell phones) can be fixed is with a complete redesign that puts privacy (information control, more formally) first. That's what it should be referred to: information control, IC. Privacy is an obfuscatory emotion-laden trap of a term.

What I see is a lot of slop atop a foundation that's not designed to let people trust that their information is their own. Perhaps if I were superman, though, I'd think differently.
      Okay:

One, please stop doing drugs, it's not good for your health.

Two, how the hell did you go that much off track in the discussion ?

You were asking for a binary of Firefox that disables telemetry. I mention that this is among the mission statement of Tor Browser. They do want to block telemtry. But of course nothing is perfact (hence some of the telemetry being quite recent). But still it's a project with the explicit goal to try to block telemetry.

Then suddenly you veer off to a paranoia fuelled speech about rebuilding the internet or something.

Comment

Working...
      X