Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Discover Gets Fwupd Integration For Handling Firmware Updates

Phoronix: KDE Discover Gets Fwupd Integration For Handling Firmware Updates

While GNOME Software has long offered integration with Fwupd for offering firmware upgrades on supported devices, KDE Discover has now received similar functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have switched to KDE after about 18 years regularly with Gnome. Was surprised to see KDE is not a chaotic mess it used to be. KDE feels like and enchanted and refined Gnome 2.

Comment

Amazing work by Nathan and others. I actually now use Discover to update and find packages. It still can use a few improvements but it's a vast improvement on what we had a year ago.

Comment

I prefer muon for installing and updating applications

Comment

Is Discover usable on Arch?

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
            Is Discover usable on Arch?
            Somehow yes, if you install packagekit-qt5. But from my point of view it still has too many bugs, despite all corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
              I prefer muon for installing and updating applications

Same thing. Discover never seemed "right" for me.

Comment

wow, so does this detect and download stuff for you automatically?

Comment

I appreciate the efforts of fwupd.org to get vendors to provide firmware updates in a well defined way, also for Linux users.
                  But every update I have seen so far basically just stores a file to the EFI partition that is picked up / executed by the UEFI firmware upon the next reboot. I do not get why specific software is required for this, wouldn't a plain "cp firmwareupdate.blob /boot/efi/" be just as good....?

Is there any example of firmware that fwupdate can actually update on its own, at run-time, directly?

Comment

Working...
                  X