GNOME's Nautilus 3.30 File Manager Delivering Some Pleasant Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

They think it's a conspiracy that the majority of main distros use GNOME, even though KDE has <inserts 500 features here all crammed into one screen>.
    It's not conspiracy, it's politics. Gnome is made by incompetent morons who can't even write good code. Not so long ago it was explained why Gnome has terrible performance and huge memory footprint. They're not able to fix this since years, so there's no other explanation, but incompetence. KDE isn't controlled by company like Red Hat and that's why it's ignored. Ps. it was also proven some of the gnome devs behave like cry babies who can't accept any criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

So, you're comparing Dolphin to totally f*ucked up, unusable shit like Nautilus? You must be mad. What's Qt/C++ market share in comparison to utter gtk crap? Why when someone changes toolkit it's ALWAYS from gtk shit to Qt?
      Did you ever wrote something in GTK or you hate it because you just don't like GNOME? Does MATE (they finished GTK3 port some time ago) looks like GNOME 3 or maybe more like GNOME 2? If you don't like GNOME desing - fine, but why hate GTK for this?

No, Qt market share isn't bigger than GTK. You can't argue with fact that GTK is more popular toolkit on Linux. Majority of Linux apps using GTK more or less direct, not Qt. Majority of enterprise Linux distros using GNOME, not KDE. There are a lot of themes for GTK, and few for Qt. You can't argue with this, this is just facts. GTK is more popular on Linux than Qt.

And KDE - good desktop, but it's forced to follow Qt releases. After good KDE 3 we get KDE 4 which was unusable crap on beggining. After KDE 4 become stable, we got Plasma 5, which was unusable crap as well. Now when Plasma 5 is stable, we are closer to Qt6 release.

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Yeah, no. Much easier to just use a different desktop environment.
      Much easier to switch desktop than just install one app and add it to autostart? No, I can't agree with that. It doesn't make sense.

But you've got right point. You don't have to use GNOME. If you don't like it just use KDE/MATE/XFCE/something else.
      Last edited by dragon321; 29 July 2018, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
        No, Qt market share isn't bigger than GTK.
        This is entirely bullshit! Qt is an industry standard. It's been used within the automotive, military, education and aerospace area. If we look at job descriptions here in germany then most companies are searching for C++ developers with good Qt experiences. And there are plenty of these job offers here. Until now I have never read one single job description - and I don't say this to blame Gtk - that requires C skills and Gtk+ experiences. Military still uses Motif Toolkit for many of their Programs on older Unix and new Linux architectures. I know this because I happen to have written one Motif based real time program not long ago. I repeat! No one uses or touches Gtk+ in the industry. And yes, I have written a few Gtk+ based programs and use them on a daily basis. But still no one in the industry wants them.

Comment

Nautilus is looking better and better It's a pity any gtk/gnome -related announcement brings out the trolls, but I get guess they need their attention.

Comment

Did you ever wrote something in GTK or you hate it because you just don't like GNOME? Does MATE (they finished GTK3 port some time ago) looks like GNOME 3 or maybe more like GNOME 2? If you don't like GNOME desing - fine, but why hate GTK for this?

No, Qt market share isn't bigger than GTK. You can't argue with fact that GTK is more popular toolkit on Linux. Majority of Linux apps using GTK more or less direct, not Qt. Majority of enterprise Linux distros using GNOME, not KDE. There are a lot of themes for GTK, and few for Qt. You can't argue with this, this is just facts. GTK is more popular on Linux than Qt.

And KDE - good desktop, but it's forced to follow Qt releases. After good KDE 3 we get KDE 4 which was unusable crap on beggining. After KDE 4 become stable, we got Plasma 5, which was unusable crap as well. Now when Plasma 5 is stable, we are closer to Qt6 release.

Much easier to switch desktop than just install one app and add it to autostart? No, I can't agree with that. It doesn't make sense.

But you've got right point. You don't have to use GNOME. If you don't like it just use KDE/MATE/XFCE/something else.
            Well, to be perfectly honest the GTK devs don't give a flying fuck about anything at all. They don't care when they break it, they do it pretty much constantly. The only way to use GTK realistically is to never update it.... And they know this, yet GTK was never intended to never be updated. You have to update it, yet you can't update because of guaranteed breakage.

EDIT: If you ask most folksthat use Qt why, most will tell you because it works after updates where GTK doesn't. And the things GTK devs do that break it are retarded like changing parameters of some function. I mean it's constant, basically every single GTK version requires changes to your code. If you don't make those changes then it doesn't work. So basically GTK doesn't work and that's on purpose....

EDIT: And then there are themes and look and feel that GTK breaks on purpose constantly as well. You can't guarantee your desired look and feel. Most of the times even the widgets themselves don't look right between GTK versions...
            Last edited by duby229; 29 July 2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I have bad experience with Gtk. Gtk2 was always slow for me and gtk3 seems to be slow as well. When comes to Gnome I don't like it's UI and there are performance problems and big memory footprint. Maybe it's related to gtk, because for producing more advanced interfaces they use crap like java, c#, python and so on.

Qt is also popular on Windows and Android, so I bet it has more market share. When comes to Linux you may be right. However, some of the most popular Linux apps like VLC, Clementine, Krita use Qt.

That's very true, but the same happened with Gnome. KDE should stick with Qt5 for core KDE components for good, but it's probably just wishful thinking. If Gnome stabilizes at some point, so it won't break things it will be a game changer. Even if I don't like its current form too much I will use and advertise it, but it has to become stable without redesigning UI all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

Ubuntu devs are working in solution for that, but I doubt it will be ready for gnome/nautilus 3.30
                LOL. And people are complaining that Wayland development takes too long, but even a simple Ubuntu project will take many months? By comparison, Wayland development isn't going so slow after all.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Ugliest interface of all time. Damn that's a lot of white space.... I mean seriously, have these guys ever consulted UI professionals?
                  Google has consulted UI professionals, yet there's still too many white space in Material Design. So it doesn't matter whether UI professionals are consulted or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Maybe in next twenty years or you can have them right now in human friendly desktop environments. This gnome nightmare is the main culprit Linux didn't take off on desktops yet. Ubuntu started to gain momentum and then they f*cked up by dropping Unity. What people need is stable DE (by stable I mean it's not being reworked all the time). Leave the damn thing as it is and just keep fixing bugs. Use Qt4/5 or whatever, but stay with it for next ten years. Fix security bugs and that's all. This is how DE's core should be made.
                    I liked Unity, but it wasn't exactly going anywhere (except for Unity 8, but that was also prone to much criticism). Although I would've liked it if they would've gone with a friendlier DE, like Deepin or Budgie or Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

This is entirely bullshit! Qt is an industry standard.
                      I think he meant that GTK market share is bigger on Linux than Qt market share. Which is true. Outside of Linux though, you're totally right that Qt has way more market share.

Comment

Working...
                      X