REAPER 5.93 Brings New Linux-Native Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post
    Weasel It is much better to have closed source drivers than none at all, I totally agree. I am all for open sourced stuff but I respect the rights of others not wanting to expose their intellectual property for whatever reason they choose. I would like a lot more stuff to be open source but I feel that as part of my own personal open source advocacy it is best to respect someone elses right to choose to make their own stuff closed if they want. I feel it is actually anti open source to foist an ideology upon others by shaming them that if they don't make their intellectual property open source they are doing wrong and there for are bad people, which I feel ultimately makes the open source community look bad in my humble opinion.

On a side note I will mention that I do believe that making all stuff open source would prove to be ultimately more profitable for companies, I believe it would compel more people to buy more of given companies hardware/software due to it having a higher likelyhood of being sought after for being more portable to various platforms. But, just because I believe something does not always make it a fact though.
    Yes I kind of think in the same way. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-GPL at all but I'm not so fanatical about it as Stallman is, and I don't go attacking closed source stuff just for being closed source (but other reasons sure). Given two choices between an open product and a closed one of equal quality, I'd pick the open one no doubt. But the keyword is *equal quality* though. (also, I've no problems mixing them together, if that's what it takes)

Also I forgot to say that REAPER is basically friendly to people without a license, you don't have to pirate or crack it at all if you don't want to pay for whatever reason (because that was mentioned, I'm not going to judge people's reasons here). You just get a nag screen on launch... that's the only limitation.

So if you want to try and compare it with Ardour, just use it. It stores its settings either in home dir or portable (including the date when it was first launched), so there's no reason to worry about it messing something up with "copy protection". Obviously if you really use it / like it a lot you should consider purchasing a license, but otherwise if you're just testing it vs Ardour, no need to have any worries about it "expiring".
    Last edited by Weasel; 22 July 2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Well in that case I may have to eventually give it a go.

Comment

Working...
      X