Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenShot 2.4.2 Released For Many Improvements To This Open-Source Linux Video Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    So does Linux have a good stable video editor?
    Blender seems like the most stable free software video editor to date. Maybe things have changed since the last time I was looking for a video editor on Linux (1-2 years ago). Openshot, kdenlive, pitivi are all a crashing, freezing mess (I actually liked pitivi but it just couldn't handle the rendering of transitions on longer videos). Blender is a pain to work with at first, all media has to pretty much match framerates, or you have to manually speed match them. Not many effects available out of the box. The rendering speed is slow due to it being single threaded. But the good thing is that you have got the full blender suite to add 3d stuff in it (potentially able to make custom transitions), you can accelerate the rendering using scripts to launch a couple of instances of blender.

And the best part - it never crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Kdenlive isn't stable in terms of not crashing.
      Neither is OpenShot, in my experience. And I only use video editors rarely, but when I do, they all tend to be unstable... or at least the most intuitive ones (Cinelerra has a learning curve, which I'm not willing to overcome, but it is pretty stable overall).
      Last edited by Vistaus; 01 July 2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        So does Linux have a good stable video editor?
        Cinelerra is pretty stable (the project exists since 1998!) and open source, but it has a learning curve.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 01 July 2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I seriously can't get openshot to work properly on my Asus zenbook from either:

ubuntu 18.04 repo
          flatpak
          appimage
          openshot ppa

That is incredible.
          The best result is with flatpak. But here the icons are pixelated and the timeline is cartoonishly large.

Last edited by pracedru; 01 July 2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Can it handle long videos without problems now? 5 minutes long videos was too much earlier
            This, this so much. And in my experience the same is true for kdenlive. And pitivi. All of them are totally fine for my needs feature-wise at this point. I'm not a professional video editor or youtuber or anything so my needs are limited, perhaps professionals would be more. I personally would have my needs covered by a stable kdenlive, openshot or pitivi. That's what I'd love to see. My advice to the developers of these: Don't care about a single new feature the next few years, just fix bugs and make it stable. If a tool I need frequently breaks down then I'll stop using that tool pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by magbed View Post

Davinci Resolve is looking good
              KDEnlive is just as bad as openshot... crashes, corrupted project files, duplicates on recovery ...etc... horrible experience
              Davinci Resolve
              Wow, Dell marketing is on point there. That said, I'm 100% ok with Apple stuff not being prevalent in creative PR material.
              Really it's crap for serious work.

Comment

Actually I'm using recent versions of KDEnlive and I'm not experiencing all those crashes that ruined its reputation. Sure enough, I still click the "Save" button before every preview because it's not completely stable yet, but it has improved a lot over the years.

My 12 years son uses it too without a problem (I tought him to click "save" too).

A few years back I tried OpenShot and found it easier than KDEnlive, but a nasty bug in the final rendering that made transitions start a few frames too late made me abandon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Cinelerra is pretty stable (the project exists since 1998!) and open source, but it has a learning curve.
                  What about Pitivi?

Comment

I used to love Openshot at 1.X. Since 2.X, simple tasks that used to be simple are frustratingly impossible with 2.X

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Blender
                      Too slow.

Comment

Working...
                      X