Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.24 To Deliver Some New Features While Waiting For GTK4

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.24 To Deliver Some New Features While Waiting For GTK4

While the GNOME tool-kit developers have been hard at work on GTK4 roughly the past two years and have kept GTK3 frozen at GTK+ 3.22, a GTK+ 3.24 release is now being worked on to deliver some new features until GTK+ 4.0 is ready to be released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i bet GTK+4 wont come till Gnome4 comes out

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      i bet GTK+4 wont come till Gnome4 comes out
      That's as big a point as me saying that the dog won't bark until the dishwasher is finished a cycle.

Comment

I've always loved developing with gtk+. The 3.x series matured faster than 2.x from my perspective, but I was building open-source and commerical apps with it from the early ( 3.6 or so ) days. I have a large open-source release coming too ... just working on flatpak packaging. Exciting times

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

That's as big a point as me saying that the dog won't bark until the dishwasher is finished a cycle.
          there was talk of Gnome4 months ago, Michael may have the story about it on Phoronix, but if i remember it was gonna focus more on Wayland than XServer . , something along those lines

Comment

The "Gnome4" that keeps being brought up is not a thing. It's not being worked on, there are no plans.

It was the title of a personal Wiki page by one developer who was describing some of the current architectural hurdles that would likely necessitate breaking backwards compatibility to implement. At best it was an apropos, tongue-in-cheek title and that's all.

Comment

*GIMP Toolkit ;-)

Comment

I think GTK+ is great, but if this new minor release isn't completely backwards compatible with 3.22, then I'm on the verge of being done with GTK+ and moving to using a toolkit from a more professional project.

Backwards compatibility is incredibly important for users and developers. I have no idea why it took the GTK+ devs so long to acknowledge this. It's slightly disturbing that they didn't mclassen didn't explicitly state that 3.24 will be backwards compatible in his blog post. The problems developers were having with GTK+ 3.x were nothing to do with adding new features: they were to do with the fact the GTK+ devs would ship a new minor version of the 3.x branch and it would break existing applications. They did this repeatedly.

Comment

I wonder where i could find a developer discussion about this. For many open source software projects one can find these on the mailing list, but for gnome and gtk it's not the first time that i fell that there are bigger decisions made where i would like to read about the reasoning an pro and cons but aren't able to find anything on this. Same here. Checked gtk-devel-list, gtk-list, gitlab and googled, but i could find it. Am i doing some thing wrong or is gnome/gtk just not that open? Kind of annoys me that i can't find anything deeper. I was courious about the backward compatibility to 3.22. Can some one point me some where or is it the same for you and there is simple no more information?

Comment

cybertraveler I asked in the comments of the blog article. It seams that it is backwards compatible. https://blog.gtk.org/2018/06/23/a-gtk-3-update/

Comment

Working...
                    X