X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
    PulseAudio vs Pipewire
    Xorg vs Wayland
    I'm tired walking to the never-arriving future while the past is still present
    The present state of Linux is pretty good. I've been using it for home servers and on my work laptops since 2000. I haven't had to worry about broken things in a long time. Or maybe I just fix problems unconsciously. I guess I did have to blacklist the nouveau driver on this Fedora installation so it'd stop crashing gnome-shell.

Comment

Something that really bothers me is that when I plug in new headsets or sync new bluetooth headphones, if a program is already running (e.g. browser, skype, music), such program won't recognize it until I close it and restart it.

Don't even know if that's a desktop environment issue, distribution or program's. But most surely it's not program's fault since it happens across different audio based apps.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
        Something that really bothers me is that when I plug in new headsets or sync new bluetooth headphones, if a program is already running (e.g. browser, skype, music), such program won't recognize it until I close it and restart it.

Don't even know if that's a desktop environment issue, distribution or program's. But most surely it's not program's fault since it happens across different audio based apps.
        Lot this is applications. Pulseaudio does let application check for new hardware. Now if application was built around pure old alsa logic of only check on start up you are kind of screwed. Even those porting applications to use pulseaudio have failed to correct this.

Comment

PulseAudio, one of the best things that come to Linux.

Comment

Waiting for Wayland was exactly why I left Linux. I always liked pulseaudio but it was a pain to get running on some hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
              Waiting for Wayland was exactly why I left Linux. I always liked pulseaudio but it was a pain to get running on some hardware.
              How about buying some USB audio class DAC? I have installed PA on 5 machines with probably 10 different sound cards and DACs and they all just work. Both internal sound cards and USB DACs.

Comment

I am really hoping pulse will eventually implement a jack to pulse auto sync. So far modules exist for certain distros for use with apps like cadence and pasystray just wish it was more seamless. Some external sound card engines have to have jack piping otherwise you get a pop at the start of media streams and audio playback without jack. While I know this is a engineering issue from hardware manufacturers. Lexicons' engine for its alpha and lamda are seemless with pulse while more sophisticated more low latency engines made by focusrite i-series are not, they need jack to run pop free audio. I think it is due to some type of hardware audio engine to software handshake, this lapse of time creates the pop sound before audio playback. Jack simply engages the engine and keeps it running until you stop it.

In many causes I have to unbridge and rebridge the pulse jack module to get all streams operating nominal as they should.
                Last edited by creative; 22 June 2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                  I am really hoping pulse will eventually implement a jack to pulse auto sync. So far modules exist for certain distros for use with apps like cadence and pasystray just wish it was more seamless. Some external sound card engines have to have jack piping otherwise you get a pop at the start of media streams and audio playback without jack. While I know this is a engineering issue from hardware manufacturers. Lexicons' engine for its alpha and lamda are seemless with pulse while more sophisticated more low latency engines made by focusrite i-series are not, they need jack to run pop free audio. I think it is due to some type of hardware audio engine to software handshake, this lapse of time creates the pop sound before audio playback. Jack simply engages the engine and keeps it running until you stop it.

In many causes I have to unbridge and rebridge the pulse jack module to get all streams operating nominal as they should.
                  https://pipewire.org/ The work on pipewire to in time replace both pulseaudio and jackaudio while still providing jackaudio and pulseaudio interfaces is another way this problem might be solved. Really having 2 sound servers running is 1 sound server too many particularly if you are attempting to use real-time resources.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

https://pipewire.org/ The work on pipewire to in time replace both pulseaudio and jackaudio while still providing jackaudio and pulseaudio interfaces is another way this problem might be solved. Really having 2 sound servers running is 1 sound server too many particularly if you are attempting to use real-time resources.
                    It looks like he is going to start using something in a way similar to jackdbus but I need to go download it to see what he has going on.

Yes I agree, honestly hmmm. You know the whole jack pulse thing. You know back when I was using slackware and a maudio 24/96 card. It was very simple I never had to start jackd until I wanted to use ardour. Then pulse audio appeared after I stopped using slackware, I thought ehhay ugh what is this stuff, ok whats this pulse thing going on, started command lining around and reading on the net. I was used to using envy24control alsa/oss honestly at the time I was thinking pulse was.... not my thing and I hated it on my system then I started to discover how things operated around it and how I could kill and restart it. Coming originally from slack I still think pulse is pretty wonky but I can't gripe too much about it.

Pipewire, good to see something like that. I kind of wish I knew how to code to help contribute to stuff. Right now I am aiming to towards shell scripting so at least thats a start.

Slackdayz=./configure <<-holy time to grab tarballs... 30minutes later after digging. ok ./configure good. make good. su make install. good ohhh wait app compiled and installed missing a special feature ok back again lets see.............
                    Last edited by creative; 22 June 2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Digging around in code blocks to take a gander at pipewire's source stuffs. Looks like they are using C++ for part of it. Uses ninja build and meson.

I currently have it built on station. I removed pulse. Currently have jack ontop of alsa only started and stopped. I did a quick dumb run with pulse installed earlier. Ran something and heard a lot of static. So going to have to do more reading and digging. It definitely is using net stuffs as well it appears. They have some videos on spewtube.
                      Last edited by creative; 22 June 2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X