GNOME 3 Might Be Too Resource Hungry To Ever Run Nicely On The Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    asynchronously does not mean garbage collector. freeing memory is fast (and does not have to happen on the main thread, btw)
    You literally haven't read anything I wrote, and you clearly have no experience about anything with regards to graphics subsystems.

Please, stop hurting yourself.

Comment

Now that they have Million dollars in the bank, they should retire GNOME 3 and hire Miguel de Icaza to lead their next version.

Comment

If I had a million dollars, I would have spent them all on two starbucks coffee cups and one 11th generation NVIDIA graphics card

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
          If I had a million dollars, I would have spent them all on two starbucks coffee cups and one 11th generation NVIDIA graphics card
          Appartment, Hookers, vegan Food and Travelling. Life is too short for anything elese...

Comment

Minus the vegan food. I'm carnivorous.

Comment

Originally posted by fernie View Post

Yeah, on my X270 its painfully slow compared to desktop with proper GPU. Recent i5 with only iGPU is not enough for GNOME, but the alternatives are worse (functionally, not performance pov)
              Unfortunatelly, I have to agree with you, while old tricks to improve GNOME/clutter based DE's performance still does not work since that bug reported back in 2015-2016, it got better tho, now (3.28.2) when you disable clipped-redraws and culling in clutter it still have graphical artifacts and improper drawing, but much better to what it was on 3.24.x (tested few days ago actually in hope it got resolved or better, had "a feeling" it did, and indeed it was better, not resolved yet tho). And the most sad thing, lack of any resonable alternative, most DE's just look outdated, and no amount of theming would solve that problem, because they are designed with different apporach.

Comment

Originally posted by ebassi View Post
                Second: Clutter was developed to work on SoC from 2008, and on netbooks with crappy Atom CPUs and Intel integrated GPUs that barely had fragment shaders. It worked fine on those.

The problem is that if you start cramming features in, and you don't maintain the underlying toolkit, things don't get better.
                Yes, completely agree with your comment (except rude part I've removed). I do not see clutter as problem, but implementation of features in GS, for example, try to run just mutter WM with gnome-flashback session (not based on Gnome Shell, the old one), it was quite smooth experience compared to GS, anyone who thinks otherwise can try it himself, add gnome-session-flashback (or whatever the name is), change WM to mutter or add "gala" (from Pantehon) and change it to gala to keep features like "alt-tab, overview...", last time I've tried input settings would cause 100% CPU usage, just disable it in dconf in flashback session, see it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                  The person who thought it was a good idea to put JS execution on the same thread should be tried for treason and violation of human rights.
                  Putting people on trial is not something to joke about! In the real world, people die from the most trivial cases being filed when they find they have health issues prisons and jails can't deal with, are shot defending themselves from arrest, or are driven to suicide in or out of custody. Evem for the survivors, this is one of the most hellish experiences a person can go through. I would rather be trapped in a burning building that in a prison. Until you've seen this incredible Hell from the inside, please don't joke about it and in the name of all the Gods don't ever snitch on someone, no matter what they have done.

Comment

Originally posted by ebassi View Post

If I get insulted I don't see why I shouldn't insult back. Or are you going to pretend that there ins't a whole host of immensely clueless people here that go around all day insulting the authors of software they use just because of their shitty entitlement issues? I mean: how far do you think we, upstream developers, ought to take this constant barrage of crap without pushing back?
                    So, what you are saying is that that you are part of the problem?

My advice on taking constant barrage is to listen to the users instead of sucking Stallman's third thumb. Reevaluate your poor life and software decisions, and move on to better things. Or you can just pout in your cereal, I don't care. GNOME 3 is, and has always been a terrible project, and I say "terrible" because I can't articulate just how bad it is.

GNU is the cancer killing Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Yes, completely agree with your comment (except rude part I've removed). I do not see clutter as problem, but implementation of features in GS, for example, try to run just mutter WM with gnome-flashback session (not based on Gnome Shell, the old one), it was quite smooth experience compared to GS, anyone who thinks otherwise can try it himself, add gnome-session-flashback (or whatever the name is), change WM to mutter or add "gala" (from Pantehon) and change it to gala to keep features like "alt-tab, overview...", last time I've tried input settings would cause 100% CPU usage, just disable it in dconf in flashback session, see it yourself.
                      Another good example is the budgie desktop environment. It's window manager uses mutter, and it's butter smooth compared to gnome-shell.

Comment

Working...
                      X