Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tessio View Post
    More than 10 years using Linux [...]
    ... and before that time you probably used to use Windows.

We on Linux suffer from all those Windows and macOS people that come to Linux because they got fed up of the systems they used to use before. Ending up with the fact that they want to have Linux operate like Windows or macOS. The systems they used to get fed up with.

Comment

More than 10 years using Linux and I don't remember the last time, if ever, that I tried to execute a program from the file manager. Maybe you are a Windows user?
      i do it very often for example for running the vulkan demos or executables that i made..., however id prefer completely stop using linux to have to use nautilus, its hust HORRIBLE , ive been using nemo for years all the feautures zero bullshit

Comment

While I have never had a performance issue with GNOME on my computer, I have heard enough people in the community mention it that it is great to see the Devs focus a hackfest on this topic. Don't worry too much if you rely on desktop icons, those are just being moved to an extension, where optional features should be to being with.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

i do it very often for example for running the vulkan demos or executables that i made..., however id prefer completely stop using linux to have to use nautilus, its hust HORRIBLE , ive been using nemo for years all the feautures zero bullshit
          Yeah... if you are compiling your own executables I can see how this decision can be harmful.

But if you think about it.. if you are using a terminal to compile, you can launch from there. If you are using an IDE, you can also compile and run from there...
          Last edited by tessio; 16 May 2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah... if you are compiling your own executables I can see how this decision can be harmful.

But if you think about it.. if you are using a terminal to compile, you can launch from there. If you are using an IDE, you can also compile and run from there...
            having to open a terminal and cd to the directory and executing is harder and slower than opening it graphically, but then again i dont care much about nautilus, i completely lost hope on it being useful loooong ago...

Comment

More than 10 years using Linux and I don't remember the last time, if ever, that I tried to execute a program from the file manager. Maybe you are a Windows user?
              How else would you run AppImages then? The whole point behind appimages is that you can just download them and double click them.

But anyway, it's good to see Gnome focusing on performance improvements; much needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Darakus View Post
                While I have never had a performance issue with GNOME on my computer...
                I wonder if it is (still?) nVidia users who suffer the poor performance?

Comment

Not sure able nVidia users, but Gnome Shell on Ubuntu (17.10, 18.04) on my Vega 56 on the open driver stack is pretty rubbish at 120/144Hz. I simply don't want to use it because of slow/stuttery window movement. Unity is far better.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

How else would you run AppImages then? The whole point behind appimages is that you can just download them and double click them.

But anyway, it's good to see Gnome focusing on performance improvements; much needed.
                    AppImages can be added to the Menu.

Comment

having to open a terminal and cd to the directory and executing is harder and slower than opening it graphically...
                      This is not compatible with the situation we were talking about.

having to open a terminal and cd to the directory and executing is harder and slower than opening it graphically, but then again i dont care much about nautilus, i completely lost hope on it being useful loooong ago...
                      GNOME is clearly focusing on Flatpaks, that you would download and launch from GNOME Software.

Comment

Working...
                      X