Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

*snip*
    Yeah man, Cocoa and NeXTSTeP were so great that Sun and GNU decided to ape it and then oh... what's that you say... those projects died? They're deader than a doornail? Nobody at all uses them? Even EFL has a greater share? Meanwhile there's a huge ecosystem based on Qt and even large corporate software that's targeted only at Windows is using Qt?

Gee Marc... it's almost like the only reason you hate it is because it's incredibly successful and not Apple, while your Apple garbage has languished because nobody is so enthralled by how "wonderful" it is that they're willing to put the effort behind seriously cloning it on Linux, in spite of having an entire decade where Objective-C adoption was massively artificially inflated by the iPhone in spite of your complaints.

Comment

A real tool for data analysis...
      Today 6.0 pivot table module in Calc is incredibly inferior to the Excel 2000 version I use at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
        That would serve no purpose. Kernel, init, desktop etc. are settled. The distributors already made their choice.

The unsettled business of 2018 is snap vs flatpak.
        Whether it's about the total number of packages available, distro-supplied packages, first party upstream packages, the pace of arrival of new packages, developer community, toolchain, documentation, infrastructure or any other practical measure, it seems pretty settled too. Only a small but vocal number of flatpak activists still like to pretend that it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post

Well,
          Coming from Windows and comparing all applications I used to their reference in Windows the Office Suite looks like the weakest point.
          It is not polished, the experience isn't smooth, performance are slow, the UI isn't coherent, etc...

Actually Google Docs is much better applications then this.
          I get to use both LO and MSO quite a lot in the course of my work. My impression is that Writer is superior to Word in virtually every conceivable way. It's the opposite with the spreadsheets: Excel wipes the floor with Calc. When it comes to presentation, both PowerPoint and Impress suck.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

LMAO. Let me guess - the desktop, toolkit and everything you prefer is The One True Way (C). The distros I'm familiar with let the user decide as much as possible.
            You know what? I really think that the Linux world could do with a nice hefty dose of One True Way. The idea that the user should care about micromanaging the last detail about how precisely should network interfaces be set up, how and when should service XYZ be initialised and which precise one of the 40-odd loggers he actually wants to install is a terrible liability for app developers, who can't ever assume anything about the target platform. The result is that each application is basically an OS by itself, the user being expected to constantly having to "configure" his system to get the simplest job done.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
              It would be perfect if they had plans to rewrite the GUI in Qt, but I'm not so displeased with its current state.
              The article mentions 'Improved "KDE 5" integration.' With LibreOffice's VCL, SAL, and UNO abstractions, you could develop this into a full Qt GUI for LO. Go ahead and do it or fund it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
                The One True Way (C) is picked by the main distributors. They picked the kernel, init, compositor, desktop etc. why would you expect this to be any different?
                Oh dear, look who's back again.
                Last edited by danielnez1; 02 April 2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X