No announcement yet.

KDiff3 Project Revived For Showing File/Folder Differences, Now Part Of KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi-Angel , You should try it and see how polished it is compared to other alternatives.
    By the way, there is another option as well - SmartSynchronize. It is not an open source but it is free for personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
      Hi-Angel , You should try it and see how polished it is compared to other alternatives.
      By the way, there is another option as well - SmartSynchronize. It is not an open source but it is free for personal use.
      Ok, I took a look at a demo on youtube. Funny app, but nothing amazing. E.g. file diff it does worse than gvimdiff, because the latter in addition to highlighting the diff does syntax highlight, and also provides vim mode. Folder differences can be done e.g. with aforementioned KDiff3. Picture differences is a funny functional, but I struggle to imagine a usecase. Perhaps an artist who forgot what did they change in a picture as compared to original, but it's a weird situation for different reasons.

Comment

Hi-Angel , You need to use it not see its videos.
        It's like saying Libre Office, feature wise, is comparable to MS Office.
        It might be even true, but the user experience using both is not in the same league.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
          Hi-Angel , You need to use it not see its videos.
          It's like saying Libre Office, feature wise, is comparable to MS Office.
          It might be even true, but the user experience using both is not in the same league.
          Can't say anything about LO vs MS Office, because I hate all WYSIWYG text editors equally, they are all providers of a terrible user experience.

Since now you're talking about my personal opinion, I can tell you that folder-diff functional I was only needed once or twice. However I do indeed a frequent user of a file comparison, and here Beyound Compare definitely loses to gvimdiff. Not because of syntax highlight, but because of vim-mode. You can't imagine how e.g. it is comfortable to dump 2 r600g shader assemblies — with and without a bug — and compare them with gvimdiff. The files have too much stuff for diff algorithms to make any sense, but there you have vim mode, and you can do lots of absolutely non-trivial edits all over the files, like vertical selections, swapping lines, easily moving all over the files, and to see how the diff getting changed.

Comment

Meld is indeed the best OSS merge tool, and its 3-way diff is better than kdiff's 3-way diff.
            (It has syntax coloring, full edit capability, 2/3-way directory diff, good-search-and-replace).
            The only down side is that its quite slow when dealing with (very) large files.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I tried Meld, and its capability as a 3-way merge tool really leaves a LOT to be desired. At our office we pretty much all migrated to Kdiff3. It is far superior for complicated merges. and yes, it does syntax highlighting, minimal code-completion etc, you just have to configure Kate with your preferences and it uses that.

Comment

Working...
              X