X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blodoffer
    replied
    Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
    There it is ladies and gentlemen, Gnome on all its splendor. Similarly to Mozilla they are on a quest to lose all their users.
    I'm that weird guy who understands and likes Gnome's workflow. To me they are making all the right moves. Gnome needs more users that use it the way it was intended instead of using 15 extensions to turn it into a another XFCE. In a sense it's a good thing that people who don't like Gnome use another DEs - that's why they exist in the first place!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Just one more thing that shows the superior user experience of KDE. There's a reason it's called user experience and not developer experience, you know

Leave a comment:

• JPFSanders
    replied
    There it is ladies and gentlemen, Gnome on all its splendor. Similarly to Mozilla they are on a quest to lose all their users.

Leave a comment:

• Blodoffer
    replied
    Makes sense since desktop icons don't with into the "meta" of Gnome 3's UI. Heck, there isn't even a feasible way to show desktop easily.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by grok View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't know Gnome 3 supports desktop icons?
    Probably not since the devs have tried to hide that feature.

Well, I'm not really sure how much they were actually trying to hide it but it's at least not very visible since enabling it requires use of Gnome Tweak Tool (or dconf-editor, etc). Anyway I think it's better that this feature is moved out of Nautilus. An extension is probably a reasonable way to do it. I actually might prefer this KDE like box for desktop icons instead of having them all around the desktop. I hope the extension will allow that too.

I do wonder if they still create the Desktop directory by default since it's not used anymore. They could just create it on demand when desktop icons are enabled (when the extension is enabled) if it does not exist.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Neither do I use the icons on the desktop, but when I work and I'm in a hurry I often save a document or file on the desktop, then I'll fix it in its place. This is to say that having the ability to work with the desktop is essential for those who use the PC for work.

Leave a comment:

• sebastianlacuesta
    replied
    I always have some application open that usually hides the entire screen, so in practice I find easier to use a menu or better a dock to open programs, and a file manager to deal with files. In fact, I don't use desktop icons since the late gnome 2.X days, since I realized that a good wallpaper is better than them.

Leave a comment:

• grok
    replied
    Am I the only one who didn't know Gnome 3 supports desktop icons?

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    That to me this is one of the top two problems with the Gnome team. Have a piece of code that is unmaintained, remove it. To hell with the user needs. They did the same thing with the dual panels function on Nautilus, years ago. That simple function never came back. You can have that even on LXDE, but not Gnome.

Leave a comment:

• ebassi
    replied
    The main difference being that Plasma never used the file manager to render those icons — and Nautilus developers started writing a GNOME Shell extension instead of carrying around dead-by-default code that survived two major version cycles and that was blocking further improvements.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X