Firefox 58 Bringing Faster WebAssembly Compilation With Two-Tiered Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

I've been using NoScript all the way until FF57. The new NoScript UI confuses me - instead of simple and fast one we've got one that displays so much unnecessary information and does things I don't even know what they're for that I decided to drop it.
    Is it possible to use the new NoScript with the old UI?
    I perfer the new UI, as it gives options on each site for allowing or blocking "script object media frame font webgl fetch other" and in most cases you want to block all of these, not just scripts on an unknown website. The default is to block all, the defaults for "trusted" or "temp.trusted" are to allow them all, and there is also "custom" to allow some but not all by user selection. If you want to change the default settings, the "untrusted" option lets you turn off scripts etc for known nasty shit like Doubleclick, Google Analytics or whatever else you consider a threat.

I see the rewrite of NoScript as having a lot of the functionality of ublock matrix while being easier to understand

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Did Mozilla scrap plans for releasing Webrender in Firefox 59?
      dont think it'll be made Default till Firefox61 at the latest

NoScript does cause a lot of Crashes

Comment

I've been using NoScript all the way until FF57. The new NoScript UI confuses me - instead of simple and fast one we've got one that displays so much unnecessary information and does things I don't even know what they're for that I decided to drop it.
        You can use FF52 ESR if this is a major issue for you, good thing is next ESR is FF60 ESR so 52 ESR should be supported until FF61 "normal release" launches.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

You can use FF52 ESR if this is a major issue for you, good thing is next ESR is FF60 ESR so 52 ESR should be supported until FF61 "normal release" launches.
          Get unmatched data protection on the release cadence that suits you with Firefox for enterprise. Download ESR and Rapid Release.

Comment

WebAssembly is pretty interesting stuff if you can't really stomach js but would like to target the browser.
            I've done a little bit of playing with "hello world" C++ stuff and it's fairly straightforward... at some point I'd like to try something a little more comprehensive with graphics and audio.

As for NoScript, pretty sure the UI changes couldn't be helped due to the changes in FF frameworks; it took about a week to get used to...

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

No, I'm not going to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

While I don't have a direct answer might I suggest trying uMatrix instead?
                I might try it, thanks.

Comment

When the NoScript web extension update first came out it was pretty rough. But now days the latest version is actually pretty straightforward and easier to use than before.

Comment

A few WebAssembly prophets have been proclaiming that compile-to-webassebly for other languages will supplant plain Javascript across the web. If that's the trend, I am not seeing anything yet. Are any projects seriously using it now?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                      A few WebAssembly prophets have been proclaiming that compile-to-webassebly for other languages will supplant plain Javascript across the web. If that's the trend, I am not seeing anything yet. Are any projects seriously using it now?
                      Mostly just game engines for now, I think. The issue is WebAssembly code runs without the typical garbage collector, so only languages that don't use garbage collection have been ported to it.

However there are efforts to implement GC, and I think someone even got LLVM/clang ported to WebAssembly.

EDIT: If WASM results in people creating and shipping performant, cross-platform applications in even just electron, I'm all for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X