KDE Plasma 5.12 Reaches Beta With Faster Start-Up Time, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post

Just let the devs know when you buy an SSD so they can live in good conscience knowing that the bug report can finally be closed.
    So the point of computers getting faster was so people could get away with writing crappier code and have it still run at the same speed?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Growing up is acknowledging a problem, instead of pretending it doesn't exist. KDE developers should be more professional about this
      Everybody knows about Plasma's init process, incl. KDE devs. That doesn't change the fact that your "bug report" is garbage. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Everybody knows about Plasma's init process, incl. KDE devs. That doesn't change the fact that your "bug report" is garbage. Deal with it.
        If they know about problems of init process, they can mark the bug as duplicate, and show what bugs are open about this issue, and what is being done to address it. Telling users "deal with it" is highly unprofessional, same as "everybody knows about it". Who everybody? You may be, others don't know and only observe such crazy long login times and see the system as very suboptimal. But you apparently think that's normal.
        Last edited by shmerl; 16 January 2018, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

And a lot of people know about the arrogance of KDE folk like you! One of the reasons I stopped using & supporting it years ago. Deal with it!

Comment

If they know about problems of init process, they can mark the bug as duplicate, and show what bugs are open about this issue, and what is being done to address it. Telling users "deal with it" is highly unprofessional, same as "everybody knows about it". Who everybody? You may be, others don't know and only observe such crazy long login times and see the system as very suboptimal. But you apparently think that's normal.
            Your bug report is not very useful.
            All you do is bitching about the startup that it is bad for HDDs and the should redesign it.

Why don't you provide any numbers?
            Have you ever tried to delay the mysqld startup? So that it's not blocking plasmashell.
            Maybe you start with a non-clean sesssion and other services (which often happens for GNOME daemons) are also starting at the same time.
            The developers even gave you a way to verify your problem but started to complain that it's just another design flaw.
            Don't get me wrong, it's possible that it is a flaw but without facts the developers won't tackle the issue, as their time is limited.
            Maybe you should try 5.12, where startup was improved...

Regarding the topic, I like the under-the-hood changes. This is atleast as much important as new features.
            Last edited by theghost; 16 January 2018, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Yes, most of the points here so far are valid, including the way crashes are handled, big mouse cursor, bad window and tooltip positionning (kmix and the keyboard layout selector are examples, and now I also have to figure why there are two sound menus in my taskbar, aka why is kmix started), no virtual desktop pager in the taskbar, no flags in the keyboard layout selector, previous layout not selected on boot (but the topmost is).

Hot corners seem to work for me, however, unlike what someone said (I just tried).

Long startup times are a bit annoying, although it could be worse (in the XP days, 5+ min for startup was common, and I still work on some computers where it takes 15+ min), and I would take them if that meant more time to polish the desktop and make ti more stable.

It is a far cry from what it once was, and it somehow "feels" more robust than plasma on X... Good days ahead!

Edit: forgot about okular... No pointer warping, and moving the document with the mouse feels jerky...
              Last edited by M@yeulC; 16 January 2018, 05:36 AM.

Comment

"The time it takes to start a Plasma desktop has been reduced dramatically." Maybe it is true, or did you check it and its not?
                As for bug report, its understandable. Bug reports need t be more specific. Opening a bug report and write down "make it fast damit!" and afterwards guessing what might be the culprit is a bad report.
                And this problem was known to KDE devs and all users, there is no point to report for something when its easily visible to everyone.

Comment

I suppose xwayland still only runs with 60fps?
                  Feels "a bit" stuttery with e.g. 75Hz display. But at least KWin Wayland can already run with 75Hz/fps, unlike Mutter.

Comment

shmerl, I also had a problem with slow startup on KDE and used a workaround for it. You can see my thoughts on your bug report (and note that I presented them as wild guesses). Check if it can, somehow, help you too.

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by ptyerman View Post
                      And a lot of people know about the arrogance of KDE folk like you! One of the reasons I stopped using & supporting it years ago. Deal with it!
                      I'm not a KDE user and I happily deal with it by not caring what other people use.

I am able to use a competing desktop and still recognize when a "bug report" is garbage. Mind blown! 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Comment

Working...
                      X