Microsoft's Linux / Open-Source Actions Of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Microsoft also released a preview for their new application software SQL Operations Studio which runs on Linux.

https://github.com/Microsoft/sqlopsstudio
    That's actually quite amazing. And the dependencies look rather minimal too; Python 2.7, Node.js, NPM, GCC, development X libraries and libsecret headers/

Hopefully my copy of Fedora 23 and Ubuntu 15.10 has devel X libraries that are recent enough to compile Operations Studio since the requirements never state the min versions required for libsecret and the X headers. Node.js and npm I should be able to compile myself after reading the build instructions.

Based on the readme on git, it appears to be like SQL Management Studio.

Comment

Microsoft can open source as many thing as they want, their business is now to sell users data, as everyone else. Cloud, cloud everywhere... It's even more evil like that

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        In my family MS causes only problems and costs. Just when my kid learned to use KdeEnlive, the kid wanted to have 20 euros/month costing adobe video editor. We had a big fight that my kid does not need it, but my wife did pay it for several months and I needed to destroy a long maintained Debian partition with win virus hoover. When my older kid wanted to play Battlefield 3, one new virus hoover machine appeared in my local network and I needed to buy a new WiFi router with VLAN support to the first floor of my steel and concrete house. Our Debian computers uses VLAN and virus hoovers can distribute viruses in their own network.
        Not too late to get the kid an old xbox / playstation for Christmas to run bf3. The fledgling cinematographer can run an air gapped windows box or mac and copy their edited and unedited videos back&forth using a usb drive. If they complain, tell them that's how every Hollywood production been doing their work since pirates started releasing 0-days blurays so they better get used it it now.

Comment

Please don't feed the troll

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            win virus hoover.
            Anyone being infected by malware of any kind, on any OS has only themselves to blame really. And not the OS. Not that I'm an MS fanboy, I quit using Windows a few years ago now in favour of one of the many Linux distributions. But, I did use Windows for literally decades and in all that time... not once. Not a single infection with any kind of malware.

And trust me, I did partake and still do partake in a fair bit of piracy. Not exceedingly proud of that but well, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. We've all partaken of online piracy at one point or another. I dare anyone to judge me there.

Having said that -- Really, virus hover? It's not that bad. It really isn't.

Supposedly, Android is even worse. Been using Android for a few years as well now... not a single malware infection of any kind. Responsible use and sandboxing trumps any kind of malware of malware protection.

Don't exaggerate, elaborate if you feel the need but, well... do you?

Comment

debianxfce does not exagerate. He is right, if you had a powerfull firewall such as sunbelt or kerio in advanced mode, you could witness the thousands of ongoing connection that no windows firewall ever witness, it witness about 1 connection out of billions. Exactly like windows defender works, I had once a computer plaged with more than 10000 malwares (only from malwarebytes scan, i'm not talking about jrt, adwcleaner, rogue killer...), it was my all time record. Only recently a customer managed to install 5000 of malware, but still windows defender did not witness a single infection... It also called a "anti malware" software by Microsoft... It is a complete lie as the only virus it find are just microsoft software cracks which are not viruses and are not detected as such by any antivirus on the market, except those acceding microsoft money to mark it as "virus". The only virus for microsoft products are the one you find on google while typing "microsoft office crack" for instance, and they are all created by microsoft, who also ordered massive attacks from enigma software in 2015 for the launch of windows 10... They used the most powerfull irp hook I have ever witness and were already exploiting meltdown. They later released spora to try out ransomware advanced skills, probaly later they also released petya and wannacry, and thus advocating for Microsoft public incentive to use windows 10 because it was supposatly the only MS os that could not get ransomware... All of this is a complete mascared as enigma software people live comfortable life by scaming millions of innocent or ignorant users, while not the slightest governement in the world have put these guys in jail.

Comment

Working...
              X