Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Is Trying To Make Windows Subsystem For Linux Faster (WSL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Is Trying To Make Windows Subsystem For Linux Faster (WSL)

Phoronix: Microsoft Is Trying To Make Windows Subsystem For Linux Faster (WSL)

In our benchmarks of Windows Subsystem for Linux that allows a Linux environment to run atop Windows 10 via this new WSL kernel subsystem, the performance overall has overall been very good and often performing better than virtualized options. But the main area of poor performance is I/O, except now it's being worked on by Microsoft for greater improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have they considered removing the Windows component?

Comment

Originally posted by ImNtReal View Post
      Have they considered removing the Windows component?
      Ha ha,, great comment.
      You just made my day

Comment

Beyond use in corporate IT environments run by people too incompetent to support anything other than windows I've never really understood the point of this thing... Feels like it's sole purpose is the same as when Microsoft funded SCO's lawsuits against IBM and other major Linux users, i.e stall uptake in the corporate use of Linux. At least it's less underhanded than how they got Munich to drop their Linux initiative by promising to move their German HQ there if they dropped it.

Oh and before anyone mentions the Accenture report the politicians used to justify the move, the primary issues it found with the Linux initiative weren't with the software itself, but the with the management of the initiative.

Comment

I love to see the butthurt around here when the resident folks deep in their hearts realize their baby doll is getting more and more irrelevant by the hour ...

OTOH we're happy to achieve more and more on our desktops, so thanks for making WSL a reality, MS.

Comment

Not sure why there are so many haters. FreeBSD has a Linux Compatibility Layer... nobody complains about that initiative. I wouldn't be surprised that MS will soon be touting better Linux performance than... Linux. I know BSD has in some cases, so don't act so shocked when it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              Beyond use in corporate IT environments run by people too incompetent to support anything other than windows I've never really understood the point of this thing... Feels like it's sole purpose is the same as when Microsoft funded SCO's lawsuits against IBM and other major Linux users, i.e stall uptake in the corporate use of Linux. At least it's less underhanded than how they got Munich to drop their Linux initiative by promising to move their German HQ there if they dropped it.

Oh and before anyone mentions the Accenture report the politicians used to justify the move, the primary issues it found with the Linux initiative weren't with the software itself, but the with the management of the initiative.
              The short version is WSL allows (web) developers to have a node.js experience closer to where they're going to deploy, when building/testing locally. Keep users on Windows, but give them something akin to the Linux environment they'll be publishing to.

Comment

I never thought I'd live to see GNU/NT

Comment

The interoperability is more of an issue than the performance I guess. Right now you can't even build build yocto on it, which I would consider a typical test case for it.

Comment

Reading through Wine Wikipedia article, I noticed this:

Microsoft has not made public statements about Wine. However, the Microsoft Update software will block updates to Microsoft applications running in Wine. On February 16, 2005, Ivan Leo Puoti discovered that Microsoft had started checking the Windows Registry for the Wine configuration key and would block the Windows Update for any component. As Puoti noted, "It's also the first time Microsoft acknowledges the existence of Wine."
                    Do they still do it? Would kind of hypocritical for them to work on WSL, while doing the above in Wine.

Comment

Working...
                    X