FreeBSD 11.0 Comes Up Short In Ubuntu 16.04 vs. macOS Sierra Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thesandbender View Post
    And I don't understand all the hate against Apple, they do regularly contribute to a lot of open source projects. If you want to rail on someone, rail on Sony. They use FreeBSD as the basis for the PS4 OS and I don't think they've contributed much (if anything) back. They obviously could help with the AMD graphics drivers.
    Hating Apple is an "American Thing". You won't notice such hate in regions where Apple is not popular. It's like hating cops by principle is popular in some regions of "old" Europe.

Sony not contributing back has one important factor everyone seems to be hell-bent on ignoring. Release the source, and PS4 as gaming platform is dead before the year is over. Simple but all the pro-GPL people keep bringing Sony and FreeBSD up again and again and utterly ignoring the (obvious to me at least) reason.

Console platform is one gaming platform where players competing against each-other do not have to worry much about cheating, and yes, its hell of an issue on PC. Game with poor protection gets overrun by cheaters fast, in some cases games have EOLed because players stop playing it (Homefront) - there simply is no point playing a game where every server has guy with an aimbot, damage mod, infinite ammo, ultrafast health regeneration or whatever, in it and you only die over and over. Most recent example would be "The Division", ton of cheaters and devs had literally ignored the possibilities they take advantages of - game's popularity plummeted like rock when the cheaters appeared.

Console gaming platform MUST be locked down or it won't simply work for very long.

Sony has contributed something at least. I got some cellular modems from Sony-Ericsson. Must say, they are much better supported under FreeBSD than under Linux and especially under Windows. I spent 2 days chasing down drivers that were not OEM platform locked (Lenovo, HP) or that would work (hw ID's differed). Under FreeBSD those F5521GW's are recognized without an issue. Even Linux (Manjaro at least) did not recognize the module, except for a "generic" sort of notice in dmesg.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      It feels like they did take money from your own personal pocket. Give it a rest, troll..

If the license allows for it, authors of the code have knowingly licensed their work under such and such license - then it's not stealing.
      It's your own preconceptions and inherent greed talking back and making assumptions.

It's a lot like religious nutcases making assumptions based on their personal beliefs about people who do not share their values. Like muslim attacking woman because skirt she is wearing is "immoral" and "whorish" to him.

You are so blinded and righteous in your "wisdom", you can't even see the parallels without throwing it your face first.
      Yes, I consider that not sharing the effort of some community and just "use what's free" to make billions without contributing is a shame.
      And I perfectly know that it is the choice of BSD, but I totally disagree with the faxt that taxes help this.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
        Yes, I consider that not sharing the effort of some community and just "use what's free" to make billions without contributing is a shame.
        And I perfectly know that it is the choice of BSD, but I totally disagree with the faxt that taxes help this.
        Sony made overall $816 million loss in it's previous year's fourth quarter.

You can "consider" the fu*k you want. It's your subjective view you are trying to force on other people who have different subjective views. How is yours any better? And how would you like somebody else "considering" your subjective world view erraneous and whining about how bad and wrong it is.

Taxes? Then go cry to your senator about what you think is dishonest tax deduction, Phoronix is last place that would help you with it.

Comment

Sony made overall $816 million loss in it's previous year's fourth quarter.

You can "consider" the fu*k you want. It's your subjective view you are trying to force on other people who have different subjective views. How is yours any better? And how would you like somebody else "considering" your subjective world view erraneous and whining about how bad and wrong it is.

Taxes? Then go cry to your senator about what you think is dishonest tax deduction, Phoronix is last place that would help you with it.
          That's exactly what a forum is for: writing our own opinion. If you have a superior way of viewing the world -> go make your website.
          And as you are a BSD license liker just let everyone copy/paste all your job and earn the cash, it will be a good story for your children!

(Concerning Sony: losing money does not change the fact that they earn billions, it only prove they suck.)

Comment

Wrong assumption. I am not BSD license liker per se. I like multiplicity of choices and freedom to choose. There is a difference.

​​​​​

Comment

Why is ext4 still being tested against ZFS!? It's an unfair comparison!

Comment

(Concerning Sony: losing money does not change the fact that they earn billions, it only prove they suck.)
                "Don't confuse me with the facts,. dammit. I know what I know!" ?
                Get a grip on reality, dude. Massive financial loss (near billion) means Sony cannot earn billions, since losing money is exact opposite to earning it.

That's exactly what a forum is for: writing our own opinion. If you have a superior way of viewing the world -> go make your website.
                And as you are a BSD license liker just let everyone copy/paste all your job and earn the cash, it will be a good story for your children!
                I'd lose money with GPL as easily. Provided I create fancy code under GPL which everyone, their grandmother and her dog could simply copycat and make money off from without shame.. GPL itself does not give me any special protection, it's enough that suing someone in China is next to impossible..

Comment

"Don't confuse me with the facts,. dammit. I know what I know!" ?
                  Get a grip on reality, dude. Massive financial loss (near billion) means Sony cannot earn billions, since losing money is exact opposite to earning it.

I'd lose money with GPL as easily. Provided I create fancy code under GPL which everyone, their grandmother and her dog could simply copycat and make money off from without shame.. GPL itself does not give me any special protection, it's enough that suing someone in China is next to impossible..
                  I suppose you have zero clue about what is accounting so you think that Sony is only spending money and never sell anything, ok.

With GPL people taking your job let you the opportunity for you to use their, and this is precious difference.
                  OFC you will not sue a chinese copier but companies like Apple & Sony yes. You would earn a lot of source code that would help your project greatly, same precious difference.

Comment

Fiscal Year 2014/2015 Sony NET INCOME was in negative. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: FreeBSD 11.0 Comes Up Short In Ubuntu 16.04 vs. macOS Sierra Benchmarks

Yesterday I published some macOS 10.2 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS benchmarks from a Mac Mini and MacBook Air systems. For those curious if BSDs can outperform macOS Sierra on Apple hardware, I tested the MacBook Air with FreeBSD 11.0 compared to the Linux and macOS results on that Core i5 system. Here are those results.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23569

FreeBSD is a terrible choice for a desktop OS; it would be more useful to have some server benchmarks on server hardware. Frankly I'm surprised FreeBSD runs on an Airbook at all

Comment

Working...
                      X