Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commercial EXT4 File-System Driver For Windows Updated (ExtFS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
    ext2fsd has had full ext4 read/write for a while under Windows and I've never had any problems.
    Fwiw ext4 is mostly ext2 with journaling on top. Since the format has been set in stone for ages, it's no wonder it got proper support.
    Personally, I think that before talking about the quality of the implementation, it's the mounting of a different OS partitions itself that's kind of dangerous: with no user access enforced, it's pretty easy to mess something up.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Fwiw ext4 is mostly ext2 with journaling on top. Since the format has been set in stone for ages, it's no wonder it got proper support.
      Personally, I think that before talking about the quality of the implementation, it's the mounting of a different OS partitions itself that's kind of dangerous: with no user access enforced, it's pretty easy to mess something up.
      Well, it is not the case at all. Consider Extents tree, HTree, META_BG, BG_CSUM, FLEX_BG, METADATA checksum, encryption support, cluster support...

EDIT: not to mention that extended attributes can't be stored in on-disk inode in an ordinary EXT2 implementation.
      Take a look at http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/fs/ext2/
      Last edited by ngkaho1234; 21 July 2016, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ngkaho1234 View Post

Well, it is not the case at all. Consider Extents tree, HTree, META_BG, BG_CSUM, FLEX_BG, METADATA checksum, encryption support, cluster support...

EDIT: not to mention that extended attributes can't be stored in on-disk inode in an ordinary EXT2 implementation.
        Take a look at http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/fs/ext2/
        Honestly, I'm not sure how many of the features you listed need a change in FS format. Because I didn't mean ext4 is almost the same as ext2, but that their structure on the disk is very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Honestly, I'm not sure how many of the features you listed need a change in FS format. Because I didn't mean ext4 is almost the same as ext2, but that their structure on the disk is very similar.
          Ahh, they are far from being similar...

EDIT: those functionalities and structures

Here is a link for you to have an idea about their differences:

EDIT: The functionality i mentioned requires incompatible changes to FS metadata.
          Last edited by ngkaho1234; 21 July 2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

We have a few apps that don't work well with EXT4, so we are moving on to XFS. We always use NTFS anyway for Windows file systems.

Comment

Working...
            X