X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    So majority of people must get broken steam after they install it because it FORCES itself to run these bad OLD libraries. Seems rather piss poor solution if you ask me!
    That is the case for 75% of installations yes... and 64 bits OS makes things even more worse...

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post

It's unfortunate that Benchmarks are more important to people than Privacy and Security.
    Why? Has your video card been spying on you? Emptied your bank account?

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Originally posted by Taupi View Post
    I hope that Mickael will test that kind of games one day ^^
    He does only test what can be tested automated from the command line.
    Also, it's not only the selection of games that makes the tests less meaningful. FPS numbers don't say anything at all about smoothness and feeling. A better metric are frametimes and even better is a deeper analysis, but that's nothing I am remotely asking for here.

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    It's unfortunate that Benchmarks are more important to people than Privacy and Security.
    You don't have to be that bitter when the world is not that black/white. You can still have privacy and security, use Linux in your everyday life and play games on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Frett
    replied
    Originally posted by juno View Post
    duby229: phoronix tests have always been like this. There is obviously not much real-world value in these benchmarks, especially when it comes to Linux vs Windows gaming. But it is still enough to indicate trends or reveal bigger problems.
    But this is still the #1 place to go for linux benchmark results and therefore influential. When people consider Linux and read about drawbacks like poor gaming capabilities, they search the web for confirmation. They lose their interest and developers/publishers don't get interested at all. So imho, good results are important to see here

Leave a comment:

• Taupi
    replied
    In real life, we play (games that can require power from CPU/GPU stuffs and can be evaluated on windows and linux -and even mac-):
    - on steam: Civ V/beyond Earth, Borderland 2, Medieval: Chivalry, CS:GO, Ark:Survival, Portal2, L4D2, XCOM2, Bioshock:infinite, Middle EArth:Shadow of Mordor, Mediaval: Total War 2 ...
    - with GOG games: Witcher2, Pillar of eternity, Divinity:OS, Wasteland 2, Mount&Blade:warband, SubLevelZero, SuperHot, FireWatch
    - with Unreal Tournament 4: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...l=1#post191678

I hope that Mickael will test that kind of games one day ^^

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol

In my opinion, if an application fits (when running) into a 32-bit address space, and does not benefit from 64-bit integer arithmetic, there is nothing wrong in compiling it for a 32-bit target. For example, small "streaming" Linux programs such as 'cat', 'tr', 'tail', or small programs such as 'cron' and 'sleep', fall into this category.
    Well,. it does force you to install a bunch of 32bit libraries which may come with vulnerabilities on their own. There are worse things in life, true, but this still qualifies as an unnecessary annoyance.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    I tried the PRO driver out before but didn't work on my 16.04 install, guessing you need to regress the kernel back to 4.2 for it to work.

Leave a comment:

• mao_dze_dun
    replied
    I know Michael has been limited by Windows in this case, but has anybody tested the beta driver with actual games on Linux - CS, Bioshock?

Leave a comment:

• V10lator
    replied
    Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
    I will contact VALVe
    Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
    their github page.
    Don't wonder when your bug report gets closed as it will be a duplicate of this "closed" bug: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...time/issues/13

Leave a comment:

• CrystalGamma
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Here's the thing about it though, if there is any chance that your application can require more than 4GB on it 's main thread then it should be 64bits. Otherwise 32bits is probably a good idea.

EDIT: I recognize the additional registers and additional ISA extensions too. So it depends on benchmarks i guess in the end as to which is better for which applications.
    You don't have to choose: there is x32, which is a calling convention running in long mode (64-bit) but with 4-byte pointers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X