No announcement yet.

Testing Ubuntu's User-Space/Bash On Windows Is Going Well, Benchmarks Incoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that Linux(Or Ubuntu might only) can get from it is more developer tools and utilities. Developers can make SDK and tools Linux only at first and with little tweek, it is on Windows. It will be easier to do. So Ubuntu will get the tools first hand and polished tools.

If this thing becomes good, and anybody can make native Vulkan calls from Ubuntu runtime, we(I know a pure day dream), might see Linux games first as with little testing they can be run in Windows. Even if for games this might not be the case but I can see CAD or other enterprise application can choose this route.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
      I'm sorry but I have to question Micro$oft's motives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrac...and_extinguish
      Well, there's no doubt at all about that, and you can bet your ass Canonical knows it too. I'm convinced Shuttleworth knows something about Canonicals future that we don't, and so he took the opportunity to cash out what he could.

Comment

Originally posted by drohm View Post

This gave me a good chuckle...
        Don't be so quick to dismiss this idea. Microsoft's lead architect for Windows STRONGLY hinted at this possibility at Build 2016

Comment

Originally posted by michal
          I'm waiting for centos on windows
          You've hit the nail on the head: this is exactly why this partnership happened. Both Microsoft and Canonical have a shared interest in competing with RedHat for developer mindshare.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

You've hit the nail on the head: this is exactly why this partnership happened. Both Microsoft and Canonical have a shared interest in competing with RedHat for developer mindshare.

But, if you look at the comments on the Bash for Windows Blog Post that announced this release, Microsoft is interested in bringing other distributions user land to this, after they get Ubuntu in a supported state. So, CentOS is a possibility, as well as Alpine Linux, and any other dist.

I hope they will open it up in such a way that the user can port it themselves, rather than waiting for Microsoft to do the work. this would be the best case scenario for all concerned, and would stress the system the best.

Comment

I wonder if it's possible to run GUI/OpenGL applications this way. People often blame video drivers for the bad performance of linux game ports. But how would they run using the windows drivers?

Comment

I got the update now as well. I had to restart the os to get it though (i was using virtual box so I was resuming every now and then to check)

Comment

I wonder if bash knows how to cd to d:\. Or do we have to mount d:\ so that bash can use it?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    I wonder if it's possible to run GUI/OpenGL applications this way. People often blame video drivers for the bad performance of linux game ports. But how would they run using the windows drivers?
                    There is no GUI/OGL Support in this. You can Run a X-Server in Cygwin or another X-Server direkt on Windows. But that has a horrible performance. The hole Subsystem is only interesting for Developers.

---------------------------------

Yesterday i have run some test with the phoronix suite but all bench data are marked as abandoned :/ And some errors due to no longer downloadable files :/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      I wonder if bash knows how to cd to d:\. Or do we have to mount d:\ so that bash can use it?

All windows drive letters are supposed to be auto mounted under
                      /mount/(lower case drive letter)/
                      , so d: would be
                      cd /mount/d/
                      So, just like if you mounted a disk in Linux, except the names suck. I imagine you can go into fstab or equivalent to change the mount directory, but I haven't tried it, so this is an assumption. Long story short, it feels like Linux, and you have access to all mounted file systems and drive, including I believe network shares that are mounted.

Comment

Working...
                      X