ReactOS 0.4 RC2 Released For The Latest Windows-Compatible OS Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.4 RC2 Released For The Latest Windows-Compatible OS Experience

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.4 RC2 Released For The Latest Windows-Compatible OS Experience

One month after releasing ReactOS 0.4.0 RC1, the second release candidate is now available of this next ReactOS update that continues marching towards a Windows ABI compatible operating system for applications and drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know it catches a lot of Flak but I would probably use this to be honest. I wish these guys the best of luck.

Comment

someone of them should give little bit of their money and hire developers then ReactOS would be ready within one year.

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
        http://www.forbes.com/celebrities/list/
        someone of them should give little bit of their money and hire developers then ReactOS would be ready within one year.
        Of course, its better to support imitating/reimplementing proprietary Microsoft Windows instead of improving Linux projects. This level of bullshit is unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
          Of course, its better to support imitating/reimplementing proprietary Microsoft Windows instead of improving Linux projects. This level of bullshit is unbelievable.
          This is definitely no bullshit! There are a lot of 3rd party companies that do not plan or want to support Linux (for reasons beyond my knowledge). It would be fine to have a free Windows re-implementation written from scratch that offers a solution to run these software. Of course the same could be achieved by running Wine ontop of Linux. But it would be better (for the sake of small systems) to have a full Windows like operating system that runs on its own. For me I plan to use ReactOS because I rely on some proprietary Trading software whose company only supports Windows. Therefore Thumbs up for ReactOS.

Comment

"Tried" it a few weeks ago. Even though they recommend virtualbox, the iso did not even boot in virtualbox. Getting out of alpha must be still far-far away.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post

huh? do you mean that rewritting all of the programs in human history is cheaper than reimplementing one, existing API/ABI?

Comment

I would say that Reactos would serve a great role in being able to run legacy line-of-business applications or even lab applications where they will not run on newer versions of real Windows.

Comment

Day 2,023: still no support for turning off the bright, pulsing light on my mouse in linux... struggling to sleep... I begin to hear a faint cackling, rising in intensity with the light, peaking as it reaches the maximum brightness. The madness is not far away. Spending most of day trying to reverse-engineer USB protocol to add to libratbag, but cannot concentrate. The mouse burns my hand as I touch it. The Windows application for controlling it tempts me, laughing as I check my wallet and my heart for the millionth time...

ReactOS sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    I would say that Reactos would serve a great role in being able to run legacy line-of-business applications or even lab applications where they will not run on newer versions of real Windows.
                    IMO ReactOS will get a chance when MS ends support for Win 7. Not everyone will want / be able to downgrade to Win 10 and these users may find a good alternative way forward in ReactOS. Of course that assumes that by this time, ReactOS will be able to run at least the most common Windows apps (e.g. MS Office) and that it will work on bare metal.

Comment

Working...
                    X