Hyperion Confirms Leak Of AmigaOS 3.1 Source Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    I really don't know why you guys are pissing all over the Amiga, sure it is dated but I say let them have their fun. (...) Seriously I don't understand the negativity.
    I think it's mainly due to the high price of the available computers that run the OS. I collect old computers too, and I certainly understand the value of keeping these things running and working, but I would never pay 3000€ for a 486 or Pentium PC that can run MS-DOS 10.0 (if such a thing existed), no matter how great it may be. However, if people are willing to pay that for a new Amiga machine then good for them for having that option.

Comment

I Confirm The Leak Of Dice 1.2 Application Source Code

This application is running a secret algorithm to show a random number between 1 and 6 (included).
      Dice 1.2 is an actively developed product on sale and still incorporates a substantial amount of Dice 1.1 code...While this would be already more than enough of a reason to care about the unauthorised disclosure and distribution, it is also the very same settlement agreement which made all of this possible in the first place, which contractually requires me to enforce and protect any intellectual property rights associated with Dice including the Dice 1.1 source-code.

Comment

Oh, lol, sometimes greed can look really counterproductive, and AmigaOS is really noteworthy example. So, do they claim this abandonware/vaporware haves some commercial VALUE? LOL, blaming code leak as their marketing failure reason sounds like a really poor and silly excuse, dammit. Windows leaked code of W2k and XP, but it basically changed nothing. At the end of day, code is hard to read, using it means huge legal risks, there're no devs ouside of MS who are competent with it, and overall it just looks pointless to mess with it - nice way to waste your time with no measurable gains and high chance to get your butt grilled by MS legal dep't.

AmigaOS. at last 3.x not even had proper memory protection, so technicaly it below even of Win95. Not sure about 4.x since it mostly looks like overpriced waporware for nostalgic idiots. Since I do not consider myself one of these, I never had a look on it.
        Last edited by SystemCrasher; 06 January 2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I recall that AmigaOS 1.0 was written in BCPL; was the code ever rewritten into C or another language by the time AmigaOS 3.1 rolled down the pipeline? In any event, the 3.1 code is of little use unless it's running on the pre-1996, m68k-based Amiga hardware.

The way ahead for the Amiga fans is quite fractured. What Hyperion is developing with Amiga 4.x is a curiosity from a nostalgic point of view, but the high cost of the current Amiga hardware puts it out of reach for all but the most rabid Amiga fanboy. MorphOS will run on cheap second-hand PPC Macs, but it's still not worth the cost of the Mac and the OS. At least AROS is free of charge, open source, and interesting to run in a VM. Emulators like WinUAE are probably the best way for people who miss Amiga to experience it again.

If people want a truly modern OS that keeps the Amiga legacy alive, I'd suggest giving DragonflyBSD a test drive. It features resident applications and message passing features inspired by Amiga, and the project lead is a former Amiga developer.

Comment

At the time, Amiga outperformed and was more stable than Windows. Of course, that was a long time ago. Personally, I think that Hyperion has a great future with porting jobs.

Comment

the actual question is who is interested in amigaOS3.1, so much to prompt someone to disclose the source.
              Are there so much of those things still operational in the USA?

Comment

It's too late now, but AmigaOS would've been alive and healthy now if the company ported the OS to PC as soon as Commodore went out of business. Too bad, as Amiga OS was really ahead of its time.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  It's too late now, but AmigaOS would've been alive and healthy now if the company ported the OS to PC as soon as Commodore went out of business. Too bad, as Amiga OS was really ahead of its time.
                  A major issue they had was marketing. I remember my Dad telling me how frustrated the Amiga users were because the Amiga computers were the best, but no one knew.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

A major issue they had was marketing. I remember my Dad telling me how frustrated the Amiga users were because the Amiga computers were the best, but no one knew.
                    Yup, absolutely true. I remember those days. Amiga has a solid light weight GUI interface with true multitasking that can be booted from a single 3.5" floppy disk when PC was still in DOS using CPU interrupts to perform background tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Yup, absolutely true. I remember those days. Amiga has a solid light weight GUI interface with true multitasking that can be booted from a single 3.5" floppy disk when PC was still in DOS using CPU interrupts to perform background tasks.

I just read an article from 2010 which sums up the situation pretty well (for those who don't know what we're talking about)

Originally posted by technologizer
                      Basically, the companies that built Amiga apps and add-ons seemed to understand the machine’s potential far better than Commodore’s executives ever did.
                      Apologies, the page you were looking for is no longer here. It wasn't all that interesting in the first place! You may want to search for something else: And here's an index of everything we've ever published: The Technologizer Archive.
                      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 06 January 2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X