X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nasyt
    replied
    Originally posted by endman View Post
    Which shows FreeBSD usage share declining while Linux usage shares are increasing:
    This will end soon as SmartOS and other Illumos based Server OSes catch up.

Leave a comment:

• Akiva
    replied
    BSD should not die

Because; it is great competition; spurring forth interesting debate, and great technologies.

Leave a comment:

• 0xBADCODE
    replied
    Epic slap in the face of BSD nuts. But 100% truth.

While initial post can cause pain in the rear for BSD fans, I can admit it true.

To add a bit, BSDs also tend to lack proper package management system and also inclined on "base system" crap up to degree it goes counterproductive and screws everything up, most notably emdedded usage. Then BSD license is a crap when it comes to operating system. One of very first *nix-like machines I used was VPS using FreeBSD. It proven to be pain in the rear! Hard to maintain. Unstable. And best of all: while it has been ages ago, company who implemented this tech proven to be very BSDish in nature, denynig others chances to use and improve this tech. So right now you can see thousands of Linux VPS and VM/cloud things. But virtually no BSD-based ones around, since each and every company using BSD did the same. So now BSDs are sucking at that. But in fact both Linux and BSDs had that VPS containers techs for comparable time. But with drastically different result. BSD licensing is counterproductive and kills OS development. And those who fail to see this are just blind or silly or absolutely inclined being proprietary corps footpads.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post
    libcaca can be found afaik in most all distros

people, rly
    it's all the same crap
    unix, solaris, bsd, linux
    they all have good and bad sides, depending on your needs (even linux)

bsd has taken from linux
    linux has taken from bsd
    both have taken from unix and plan9
    (i think unix has taken from bsd too)
    osx... i don't want to talk about it..

i won't talk about details since all people seem to care about is licenses and not about real things like security, performance or flexibility
    nobody really gives a f about licenses...
    Run for president. I'm Canadian but I'd still vote for you.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post
    Do you have some data on this? I care about lisense but u can say maybe u do not count because I dont own a 5 billion dollar company.

But again can u show my numbers that NOBODY Cares about lisenses? At least when I try to copy a windows cd or a game from somebody else, suddenly this company cares about their lisenses and their copyright.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
    Well, I know for certain that Gentoo and Fedora accept that license and there are packages in their main tree.
    Perhaps other distros too, but I haven't really looked into other distros.
    libcaca can be found afaik in most all distros

people, rly
    it's all the same crap
    unix, solaris, bsd, linux
    they all have good and bad sides, depending on your needs (even linux)

bsd has taken from linux
    linux has taken from bsd
    both have taken from unix and plan9
    (i think unix has taken from bsd too)
    osx... i don't want to talk about it..

i won't talk about details since all people seem to care about is licenses and not about real things like security, performance or flexibility

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    proprietary companies like M$, Apple and $un Micro$ystems
    What are your thoughts on Valve's Steam? The DRM deployed there is a massive attack on freedom and the GPL has been powerless to prevent it (even though Steam Linux utilizes GPL software).

`ls <directory with lots of contents>` does not work why on GNU+Linux it does.
    Honestly, I do admire your passion against proprietary code (I do agree with you on many issues relating to software freedom) but when you say things like this, you simply lose all credibility. No-one else seems to have a problem listing large directories using BSD utilities, so why are you?

If you directed your efforts on attacking companies like Valve, Microsoft and Apple you might stand a chance at making a difference. Currently you are attacking an operating system that just happens to use a specific license. Even if you "won" and managed to destroy the BSD family of operating systems, Microsoft Server 2012 would just move in and take up the slack.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Del_ View Post
    Freedom to do what? Freedom for who? As far as I can see it only gives you freedom to waste your life on code nobody will bother touching since it has an awkward license containing coarse language. Good luck with that. In some parallel universe this may be of interest, but I am a bit too earth bound for such discussions.
    Well, I know for certain that Gentoo and Fedora accept that license and there are packages in their main tree.
    Perhaps other distros too, but I haven't really looked into other distros.

Leave a comment:

• Del_
    replied
    Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
    My definition of free license lines up perfectly with WTFPL
    Freedom to do what? Freedom for who? As far as I can see it only gives you freedom to waste your life on code nobody will bother touching since it has an awkward license containing coarse language. Good luck with that. In some parallel universe this may be of interest, but I am a bit too earth bound for such discussions.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Del_ View Post
    Freedom to do what? Freedom for who? It all depends on what you want to accomplish. One thing that is overwhelmingly clear today is that we would have no free desktop without copy-left. For some of us, that is pretty important, also freebsd users.
    My definition of free license lines up perfectly with WTFPL:

Code:
    DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE 
                        Version 2, December 2004 

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <[email protected]> 

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified 
     copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long 
     as the name is changed. 

DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE 
       TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION 

0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO
    Nobody can really take away your athor's right, whatever you write, it will be yours (As I understand it, in eyes of the law, source code is bound by the same rules as literature writers).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X