No announcement yet.

OpenBSD Foundation At Risk Of Shutting Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please read carefully, it's not just the OpenBSD foundation but the whole of OpenBSD is an risk of shutting down.

aka. Development of OpenBSD will stop. No new versions will be released. 5.4 will be the last version of this pathetic OS and thier repulsive developers (mostly importantly Theo de Raadt).
    Last edited by beetreetime; 18 January 2014, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beetreetime View Post
      Please read carefully, it's not just the OpenBSD foundation but the whole of OpenBSD is an risk of shutting down.

aka. Development of OpenBSD will stop. No new versions will be released. 5.4 will be the last version of this pathetic OS and thier repulsive developers (mostly importantly Theo de Raadt).
      Oh, that's how Theo and crew support themselves. Maybe it's time for them to get a day job.
      Maybe they can go work to help fix the Affordable Healthcare Website. That was a Canadian based company.

Comment

Do we need that kind of hate against a non-pay, redistributable OS here?

This kind of hatred has no place here. It reminds me of the comments my political enemies post under my videos on Liveleak, the kind I spend hours removing after some videos. I use Linux, one of my best friends used FreeBSD for years and this kind of hate inside our own community weakens us. It reminds me of the 1969 SDS Convention and split in SDS that destroyed a huge organization that made Nixon shake in his boots and shit bricks. We all seek to create alternatives to closed-source, unauditable operating systems that demand money and "activation" to use, and which are rapidly becoming nothing but user-facing front ends for Hollywood, Facebook, and all of corporate power's employees at the NSA and the FBI.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
          in some situations OpenBSD has no real competition. For instance, when you need a really secure router but can't afford Cisco.
          Really? Cisco's security reputation is a bit flaky a the moment. When it comes to OpenBSD as a secure router, I am not at all convinced. Personally I use OpenWRT for all my network routing, and I have a hard time seeing how OpenBSD would provide a more secure solution.
          Originally posted by endman View Post
          Are you kidding me? OpenBSD approach to security is total bullshit and most of it doesn't even affect linux or other unicies except OpenSSH which held back security for years.
          Care to share with us exactly how ssh held back security? The only thing I can remotely think of is that ssh has the potential of making VPN solutions obsolete with some added functionality. Other than that ssh has certainly helped keep my machines secure and I use it for all my network communication needs, it is a fantastic piece of software that is very easy to harden security wise.
          Originally posted by Luke View Post
          I use Linux, one of my best friends used FreeBSD for years and this kind of hate inside our own community weakens us.... We all seek to create alternatives to closed-source,
          It is clear to me that OpenBSD and the various linux distros seek to create alternatives to closed source. It is not at all clear to me that FreeBSD does that. I fully agree though, the BSD hatred has no place here. It is counter productive.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
            The trouble is that the FSF don't have the right to declare what the word "free" means with respect to software. "Free Software" isn't a trademark that they own or a term that they have any right to control.
            It doesn't matter. Most people who know about FSF, BSD and computer history understand the difference. They will automatically connect the word "free" with GPL and FS ideas. It's similar to PC which most people think it's Windows. Quite irritating, but we have to live with that.

Comment

Why OpenBSD deserves to shutdown

Interesting article, here's why:

http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/

Comment

I just donated.
                Not much but I am sadly not a rich man.
                Regardless what certain quoted blogs say, at least OpenSSH is definitely worth it.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Interesting article, here's why:

http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/
                  Yeah, truly revealing stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                    Yeah, truly revealing stuff...
                    It seems you didn't read:

Table of Contents Introduction Secure by default Security practices and philosophy No way to thoroughly lock down a system The need for extended access controls Extended access controls are too com…

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                      Translation: "I am doing mental gymnastics to cover up my own ignorance.".

I strongly recommend educating yourself on the OpenBSD project's views of proprietary software before you rattle on any further on subjects about which the whole of Phoronix knows you are totally ignorant about. Your posts are providing no benefit to the community and you may wish to get a grip and reconsider your hobbies if you aren't prepared to give it a rest. Now, depart from me, go read up about Theo de Raadt and his dedication to Free Software.
                      I don't have to read anything to prove what is obvious to me. Imagine there's some country that claims it's against terrorist, but it gives weapons to terrorists for free. We have the same situation here. How would you call someone who's doing something like this? I think stupid hypocrite would be best description. It seems TdR is living on another planet.

Comment

Working...
                      X