Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD KMS/DRM Driver Moves Along For FreeBSD

Phoronix: AMD KMS/DRM Driver Moves Along For FreeBSD

Last month I reported on the AMD Linux DRM/KMS driver being ported to FreeBSD. With the developer receiving funding from the FreeBSD Foundation, progress on this open-source AMD kernel mode-setting driver is moving in a steadfast manner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is excellent news. The faster they can move users off VESA drivers the better.

Comment

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post

The Power To Serve Proprietary Dicks
      It's never polite to talk with your mouth full.

Comment

What the hell's wrong with VESA drivers awayway? Oh yes!! it's free, open source and runs on many graphics cards (portability) which is what BSD hates.

BTW, why do you seem to care so much about BSD's pathetic attempts at getting support for modern GPU drivers what no one would even use it what it's finally they? Unless you are a supporter of BSD in which case, get really, delete BSD and use Linux 100%, insane moron!.
        You mean besides the lack of 2D acceleration, slow software rendering, limited screen resolution options and no support for multiple monitors that the FOSS radeon driver offers?

Oh, nothing I suppose. :P

And I don't even use FreeBSD, but I'd like to have the option for it to support my hardware if I wanted to run it in the future.

Comment

Isn't ARM more important as it may outstrip x86 OH WAIT!!! FreeBSD devs are so narrow minded that they accept only the existence of x86.
          Oh, and this

Boots and runs on the Raspberry Pi and other ARM boards, so, yeah, take from that what you will.

Comment

Speaks volumes that someone could make 6 posts, all saying the same thing, and none of it constructive. Talk about narrow-minded.

Nice to see some progress on KMS and radeon in BSD-land. Still running Arch Linux here, but I wouldn't mind taking FreeBSD for a test-drive every now and then, if only to get a taste of what it's like on the other side of the fence.

Comment

Why hello, mr. BSDSucksDicks or whatever... another day, another sockpuppet (can't we IP ban this guy?)

Comment

This is good news.

This is also a great step ahead towards GPGPU usage for FreeBSD on basis of OpenCL.

Despite the fact nVidia provides a useful BLOB for FreeBSD *NIX, for unknown reasons nVidia doesn't support CUDA or OpenCL on FreeBSD. This will not change until the opensource drivers for AMD will provide that in a reasonable and useable way.

Since I'm with FreeBSD (or any *BSD from 4.2 and 4.2 RENO on), this academic OS has lost ground in a desastrous way , especially in the academic area.

BUt even with success like this, we are eons away from getting useful AMD drivers for modern hardware. Without nVidia, FreeBSD/*BSD users and admins would be pinpointed to old GPU hardware.

Comment

Good to hear that there's progress. I don't much care which 9.0 or later version this code makes it into, but I'll be happy when my freenas box eventually gets a copy of the radeon kms driver. Vesa is just so basic, and if we're lucky the power management code will eventually make its way over. There's no need for a console-only box to have the default/high power profiles active... that thing could be in dynpm/low all day long, and I wouldn't notice

That machine's currently running BSD 8.3, so I'll have to upgrade to something newer anyway to properly support its built-in HD3200 IGP... 9.0, 9.1, 10 are all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    Good to hear that there's progress. I don't much care which 9.0 or later version this code makes it into, but I'll be happy when my freenas box eventually gets a copy of the radeon kms driver. Vesa is just so basic, and if we're lucky the power management code will eventually make its way over. There's no need for a console-only box to have the default/high power profiles active... that thing could be in dynpm/low all day long, and I wouldn't notice

That machine's currently running BSD 8.3, so I'll have to upgrade to something newer anyway to properly support its built-in HD3200 IGP... 9.0, 9.1, 10 are all good.
                    I wouldn't bet on it being backported to 9.x from -CURRENT, it seems sort of invasive. Then again, you never know - or you could live on the risky side and run CURRENT on it, or on the cautious side and wait for 10 to be tagged STABLE.

Comment

Working...
                    X