Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Is A Lemon On The Retina MacBook Pro

Phoronix: Linux Is A Lemon On The Retina MacBook Pro

If you are planning to buy one of the new Apple MacBook Pro notebooks with a Retina Display for use under Linux, hold off on your purchase. Running the Retina MacBook Pro with Linux isn't a trouble-free experience and after using even the latest development code and jumping through various hoops, Linux on the latest Apple hardware is still less than an ideal experience. Linux support will improve for the Retina MacBook Pro in the coming months, but it's not likely to see any proper "out of the box" experience until next year.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's up with this obsession about the Retina display.. should we expect another 5 articles this month about how retina under Linux sux?

Comment

You might want to try arch.

I read that some of the users were ok with the DEs and they looked good.

By 3.6 final or 3.7 i think all the problems will be solved.

Comment

Michael: Could you provide me "lspci -nn" and "dmesg | egrep 'bcma|b43'"?

Comment

And can't you provide an screenshot of the desktop with some application running like firefox and/or terminal + scaling factor instead of a blurry picture taken with a camera?

Edit: and with full resolution?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            What's up with this obsession about the Retina display.. should we expect another 5 articles this month about how retina under Linux sux?
            Michael is an Apple fanboy. Didn't you know that? That's what Apple fanboys do, repeating Apple marketing speak all day.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              That's what Apple fanboys do, repeating Apple marketing speak all day.
              Michael must be inexperienced in Fanboyism, since his conclusion was to "not purchase an rMBP for linux".

Ultimately, these results were expected. Without advance access to hardware, linux developers are left guessing as to what customizations Apple has made to the intel reference platform. I would expect to see the Intel APIC and Display issues resolved shortly, and released into Distro's in the next 6 months. Early-adopters are likely to get relief in the next 1-2 months.

I also agree that, in the event that you have a rMBP, VMWare Fusion is currently the best option for running linux.

F

Comment

why would anyone want to buy hardware from apple?

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                  why would anyone want to buy hardware from apple?
                  They are shinny and are the hottest fashion accessory.

Comment

looks like michael does an articol about same apple crap every week or every few days. cut if off ppl got the idea. And who is stupid to play for apple marketing when u can buy a thinkpad better equiped and linux compatible/friendly, or is just those boys that like to brag they have something exclusive that no one has.

Comment

Working...
                    X