Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Windows 8: Mostly A Crap Wreck

Phoronix: Microsoft Windows 8: Mostly A Crap Wreck

For the past few days I have been trying out the Microsoft Windows 8 Consumer Preview. For the most part, I would call Windows 8 a crap wreck, but it is not without a few advantages over Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One thing: Why do you use a DVD to install? If you use a recent system with UEFI you can simply put the content of the iso onto a fat32 usb key and boot it via UEFI mode. If you formatted the usb key using diskpart on win it would boot in mbr mode as well, if you formatted it on Linux you can simply use any bootloader of your choice with chainload support - for grub2 you use
    Code:
    ntldr /bootmgr
    boot
    for syslinux (syslinux.cfg) you use
    Code:
    default chain.c32 hd0,1 ntldr=/bootmgr
    The UEFI boot trick does not work directly with W7 as you need to replace the bootx64.efi first (the default does not work with fat32). One other tricky thing is you can try with a FAST usb key/hd is Win8 to Go:

![](/images/article/windowstogousb.png)Windows To Go is a new feature of Windows 8 that allows enterprises to provision a full corporate environment that will boot from a USB drive.  Once the instance...

The funny thing is: you dont need imagex, you can use 7z on linux as well to extract, but you still need to run bcdboot on win (maybe you can get the 32 bit version running with wine, no idea). It worked relatively well to boot from the usb key on different systems, just too slow with my old 16 gb usb key

Comment

You should have kept this review till they shipped so that Microsoft doesn't have time to work over Metro after negative aura.

It's understandable that drivers work better on Microsoft as vendors with old mindsets are jumping hurdles for them, where on Linux coders have to beg for support from these same vendors. Anyway, those vendors that don't come to Linux will be shunned and lose out in long run.

Understanding Metro is to see Microsoft's desperation to cut into the mobile market, which they currently are crippled in, therefore they are forcing users to experience their mobile systems in hope of adoption. I can't see them succeeding. Microsoft is simply on the nose and people are leaving them in droves.

Comment

Have to admit, that was a pretty nice balanced look at it.

It's true Windows will always install and be a smoother experience in regards to drivers etc...but it's easy to see why. It's not exactly the fault of Linux itself. The fact things work as well as they do nowadays is amazing really.

Comment

As far as the installation process goes I think it is a step backwards. I couldn't get it to install on my 1 hard drive just because it had other partitions on there and windows didn't want to erase them properly. Also I'm curious about this boot speed business, is it booted to a "fully loaded" desktop? can you start clicking immediately and see things actually start to open? If so then IT'S ABOUT TIME, what the hell took them so long in this front.

I would like to try out the developer preview but like I said if it won't sort my hdd out by itself then I'm not going to help it because I shouldn't have to.

Comment

I mostly agree with Michael. Hardware support is great, performance is excellent... but the Metro UI is an utter failure.

Comment

I've been running the consumer preview since it came out; more or less I agree with your article (even though the obligatory 'copy Apple' remark at the end seems totally out of place - Windows 8 and Metro are moving more and more away from the Apple paradigm). I use the Metro interface as a glorified Start menu and nothing more; I really tried to get used to it, but when you want to multitask, it's very difficult, since all applications must be full screen (or on the side). Try having a simultaneous chat with 2 or more persons, while browsing the internet in the metro interface: not a pretty sight.

Comment

Originally posted by acrazyplayer View Post
                I couldn't get it to install on my 1 hard drive just because it had other partitions on there and windows didn't want to erase them properly.
                Thats is an know "feature" from the CP.

@Michael The Windows to Go feature is only for the Windows 8 enterprise Edition and if i understand is right it doest Boot an Windows from the USB stick.

Comment

One thing about the "bootspeed": it would be very wise to disable hibernate support when you want to use dual/multiboot. W8 is not booted the normal way usually, it is just suspended. Poweroff is now a synonym for suspend 2 disk until you do (in cmd with admin rights):
                  Code:
                  powercfg -h off
                  I do that for any win installs as i always have got Linux on my hd(s) as well. So instead comparing "bootspeed" you should better compare suspend2disk speed

Comment

After trying it out though, for Windows 8 on the desktop I see Metro as an absolute shit wreck. Metro may work very well for phones and tablets and game consoles, but for the desktop I see it as a disaster. Metro really isn't intuitive for the desktop, is complicated and very confusing after the common Windows desktop workflow since Windows 95, and overall makes Canonical's original Unity desktop environment seem better than Metro. I would take Ubuntu's Unity or the GNOME Shell any day over Windows 8 with Metro.
                    Agree for WIn8.
                    Sorry but Unity and Gnome3 are the same shit, it's ONLY for touch screen.

But under GNu/linux, there are still Gnome2 fork(mate), KDE, XFCE etc...

Comment

Working...
                    X