FreeBSD 9.0 RC2 Arrives Late, Pushes Back Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
    My GPU doesn't work but they found the time to rewrite grep to avoid the GPL. *yawn*

Rewrite thousands of lines of code that already existed because we hate the GPL: check

Version of ZFS that is already stale: check

NIH some features that have been in Linux since 2007: check

Working Radeon HD 5000+: Deferred indefinitely

X.org Server: 4 versions behind

At least we're unpaid Apple employees that don't give a damn if our software stays freely available or openly licensed: double check
    You're either

1. Really really incredibly stupid
    2. Trolling

Assuming the former, if you were a programmer in any way shape or form you'd realize that FreeBSD is written better. This is crucial when it comes to managing servers that perform very important roles, because if anything bad happens then it's the system admins fault. In my experiences there's only one Linux installation that never had to be manually rebooted due to crashes (Kernel crashes, entirely different hardware among the crashes). I have never had to restart a FreeBSD installation.

Not just that but Btrfs is somewhat not viable on an enterprise level. It performs terribly. It probably won't perform well for a long time. ZFS is the only thing that when attached to something that performs very near Linux (FreeBSD) performs well enough to be worth it AND has the wonderful features it does.

In regards to the GPL, it isn't "free". It's very very restricted. I'd rather release my software under the BSD license because the only way anything is going to be remotely successful is if people have the freedom to do with it what they want (Including use in proprietary software). I oppose the GPL and have for quite some time. It's useful for the Linux kernel and stuff like GCC but for random applications it's not.
    Last edited by NoEffex; 29 November 2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
      Assuming the former, if you were a programmer in any way shape or form you'd realize that FreeBSD is written better.
      I am a programmer in every shape and form, please point me to a source code study determining that FreeBSD is written 'better' than Linux, or better yet point me to actual source code examples. All this fanboy 'my preferred OS is better' bs is so goddamn pointless.

I'd rather release my software under the BSD license
      You are free to choose whichever licence you want for your code.

because the only way anything is going to be remotely successful is if people have the freedom to do with it what they want (Including use in proprietary software). I oppose the GPL and have for quite some time. It's useful for the Linux kernel and stuff like GCC but for random applications it's not.
      Lol wut? Linux (GPL) IS more successful than the BSD variants. -"It's useful for the Linux kernel and stuff like GCC but for random applications it's not.", Really? How about these GPL licenced applications:

ffmpeg, x264, VLC, mplayer, valgrind, gcc, samba, git, mercurial, gimp, inkscape, blender, abiword, audacious, emacs, avidemux, qemu and these are just from the top of my head. Not even remotely successful, huh?

Either you are trolling or your reality distortion field is set to 'extremely high'.

Comment

You're either
        In regards to the GPL, it isn't "free". It's very very restricted. I'd rather release my software under the BSD license because the only way anything is going to be remotely successful is if people have the freedom to do with it what they want (Including use in proprietary software). I oppose the GPL and have for quite some time. It's useful for the Linux kernel and stuff like GCC but for random applications it's not.
        Usually when people say that they prefer BSD license over GPL what they mean is that they prefer other people to release their code under BSD license. So surprise me and show me the wonderful software you yourself have created and released under a BSD license.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          Usually when people say that they prefer BSD license over GPL what they mean is that they prefer other people to release their code under BSD license. So surprise me and show me the wonderful software you yourself have created and released under a BSD license.
          (BSD/Unix) It's been surviving since 1978 ? just fine after all these year's, (and long before Torvald's stopped "crapping" in his "Depends' Diapers", and started suckin' Billy's Thumb , mmmm )
          wtf is goin on here.
          "AnonymousCoward" -pleeez do your "bait-switching" somewhere else.
          ... YAWN, I (and many other "Users") still like and use FreeBSD, and yes, even as a Desktop,... -so, what are you or anyone else actually gonna do about it ?, at "False"oronix, or "Linux"oronix or wherever ?!
          useless agruement about "License's", being the fact that NONE of you here can actually understand any of these "licences" in any legal, or ethical, or SOCIAL depth.

You Linux fanboy's have been saying this since 1998, ..., blah blah blah, *BSD is DEAD??? -LoL.
          But just to make "Kraftman", and that other fuul, "DaemonFC", and any other Linux Fanboy's happy here, the bet's on,
          and, as we'll agreed, you'll PAY ME $100.00 in 2016 'cause kraftman & Co are dinks, and BSD/Unix will live on, and on, ..., and so what ?
          Last edited by scjet; 30 November 2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scjet View Post
            (BSD/Unix) It's been surviving since 1978 ? just fine after all these year's, (and long before Torvald's stopped "crapping" in his "Depends' Diapers", and started suckin' Billy's Thumb , mmmm )
            wtf is goin on here.
            "AnonymousCoward" -pleeez do your "bait-switching" somewhere else.
            ... YAWN, I (and many other "Users") still like and use FreeBSD, and yes, even as a Desktop,... -so, what are you or anyone else actually gonna do about it ?, at "False"oronix, or "Linux"oronix or wherever ?!
            useless agruement about "License's", being the fact that NONE of you here can actually understand any of these "licences" in any legal, or ethical, or SOCIAL depth.
            Oh, I see bsd is about survival now. It failed everywhere, so it's last chance is to survive? Old crap with legacy 25+ years code. Don't worry, bsd will survive next 25 years, because code doesn't die easily. The point is who will use such code? The story about freebsd being written better makes me wonder in what world are you living fanboys?

You Linux fanboy's have been saying this since 1998, ..., blah blah blah, *BSD is DEAD??? -LoL.
            But just to make "Kraftman", and that other fuul, "DaemonFC", and any other Linux Fanboy's happy here, the bet's on,
            and, as we'll agreed, you'll PAY ME $100.00 in 2016 'cause kraftman & Co are dinks, and BSD/Unix will live on, and on, ..., and so what ?
            Yeah, bsd will live in fanboys dreams and on the ol' hard drives in your basements.

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
              Want to set up a bet? I really don't see them going anywhere.
              That's the whole point - the world will, but they won't go ANYWHERE.

Comment

Assuming the former, if you were a programmer in any way shape or form you'd realize that FreeBSD is written better. This is crucial when it comes to managing servers that perform very important roles, because if anything bad happens then it's the system admins fault.
                Linux runs on more than half of the most important servers, kid. Another part is being run on windows. I realized long ago freebsd is written bad, much worse than Linux and it's always behind in nearly everything.

Not just that but Btrfs is somewhat not viable on an enterprise level. It performs terribly. It probably won't perform well for a long time. ZFS is the only thing that when attached to something that performs very near Linux (FreeBSD) performs well enough to be worth it AND has the wonderful features it does.
                Keep dreaming, because bsd doesn't even exist in enterprise.

The GPL is about protection unlike bsd which is somehow a whore license, but worse - you get nothing back.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Linux runs on more than half of the most important servers, kid. Another part is being run on windows. I realized long ago freebsd is written bad, much worse than Linux and it's always behind in nearly everything.

The GPL is about protection unlike bsd which is somehow a whore license, but worse - you get nothing back.
                  1. I wouldn't consider myself a "kid".

2. You have to quantify what is "Linux". The kernel itself without all of the terrible drivers is written pretty well. The major companies that use Linux typically modify it heavily and gut it out completely. The very large quantity of less-than-stellar drivers brings the overall code quality down. FreeBSD has less of a problem with that and ZFS is used far more than something like Btrfs probably ever will be, and Solaris is slow. All that said, second posters accusations are false.

3. I'm not going to go into BSD v. GPL...that's a breeding ground for disaster.

On a slightly different note (Rather than comparing crap with less crappier crap, whichever one people side with) word on the street is that MINIX is receiving large amounts of funding the European Research Council. Say what you want about the others but if people start taking on MINIX it'll become quite useful in enterprise. I'm hoping for that. There are a few people that I'm very fond of in the *nix scene and chief among them is Andrew Tanenbaum.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Ah, so you are a troll. Good to know I can ignore you without missing anything.
                    (Random example: Juniper's JUNOS is FreeBSD-derived, and to the best of my knowledge they sync up with the FreeBSD fairly often. They also contribute a decent amount of code back.)

Comment

FreeBSD doesn't have the resources Linux does so it doesn't support a lot of common hardware and many areas of it are less advanced.

They have to pay to get even Intel drivers working because Intel doesn't think FreeBSD is important enough to support it themselves. They have no support for modern Radeon cards. They tell you to use binary Nvidia drivers and Windows drivers if you want networking.

There's the specification most "supported" wifi configurations use on FreeBSD.

Not my idea of an ideal system.
                      Last edited by DaemonFC; 30 November 2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X