Apple Unleashes Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
    Edit: so as for my original reason for entering this thread, perhaps I'm dumb but how do you do a fresh install, if the only way to obtain OSX is now through the app store?
    Updated 2/21/2012: Here are quick instructions on how to perform a clean Mac OS X Lion installation. Read beyond these steps for some background on the initial confusion surrounding OS X Lion clean…

Comment

Cheers. 10characters

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Personally i think there isn't much to push in laptop design with the current technology and have something that will be affordable and easy to sell to the consumer -something that will not scare them with a lot of tech-. After all it has to look like a laptop.
        Yeah sure, but little bit of modern art can go a loooooong way. For example I can show you modern counterparts to every product that Apple has ever made, except the iPad, that looks miles better.

As for the styling i am a fan of minimalism and find apple products really well designed. Not innovative but at least they are aesthetically pleasing compared to the stuff made by the majority of PC manufacturers.
        No I don't agree. Apple's products are too minimal to have a design at all. It's almost as if the guys from the tech department give the block-looking product to the industrial designer, and the industrial designer goes like this "give it round edges. Done" WTF?!

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Yeah sure, but little bit of modern art can go a loooooong way. For example I can show you modern counterparts to every product that Apple has ever made, except the iPad, that looks miles better.
          yeah of course there are mp3 players, phones etc that have a great design but for laptops the majority produces uninspired junk.

No I don't agree. Apple's products are too minimal to have a design at all. It's almost as if the guys from the tech department give the block-looking product to the industrial designer, and the industrial designer goes like this "give it round edges. Done" WTF?!
          thats minimalism after all.

Comment

yeah of course there are mp3 players, phones etc that have a great design but for laptops the majority produces uninspired junk.
            I don't agree with you.

thats minimalism after all.
            No it's nothing at all. Minimalism is about removing everything that's possible. But the MacBook pro doesn't have it's own 'face'. It's not like "oh that's characteristic for a MacBook pro". Instead the only character that it has is that it has nothing going at all but being a metal round-edged brick.
            Last edited by V!NCENT; 21 July 2011, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Then why did you just provide proof of the opposite?

Comment

\

I like sony (and thinkpads) but it doesn't represent the majority. And usually they pay attention to the design of the higher end models only. But look at the designs by acer asus dell hp etc. Most of them -and yes even those make nice stuff sometimes- make you want to rip your eyes out with a spoon. Apple is consistent across the range.

No it's nothing at all. Minimalism is about removing everything that's possible. But the MacBook pro doesn't have it's own 'face'. It's not like "oh that's characteristic for a MacBook pro". Instead the only character that it has is that it has nothing going at all but being a metal round-edged brick.
                we disagree and i am fine with that

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Then why did you just provide proof of the opposite?
                  Because V!NCENT has no taste obviously.

Comment

Terrible examples.

\

I like sony (and thinkpads) but it doesn't represent the majority. And usually they pay attention to the design of the higher end models only. But look at the designs by acer asus dell hp etc. Most of them -and yes even those make nice stuff sometimes- make you want to rip your eyes out with a spoon. Apple is consistent across the range.
                    I dunno, most of the laptops I see down at the local retailers are pretty. And there's also the little issue of range: Apple sell what, 3 basic models? Everyone else makes a much larger variety of concurrent laptops. I'd still rather take a Thinkpad over a Macbook, regardless of OS and price point but that's just me.

Comment

OS X is easily the best

I recently bought a iBook and have done some fairly serious program development on Leopard and Snow Leopard (G4 and i386). I wuv Linux, but begeezus it's been hard not to switch. OS X is easily the best consumer operating system i've ever seen.

Mint and Sabayon aren't bad Linuxes, QNX was a very nice groove. FreeBSD and Slackware have a nice integrity about them. Windows 98SE and XP were decent home operating systems. I use Fedora because i'm used to their setup and rpms. Never used Amigas though.

But OS X lines them all up on the bar and pisses all over them. Some things i love - a sane packaging system for apps to include their own library revisions. Beautiful, powerful and consistent interface with quality apps included, and an almost bug free unix layer underneath it all providing a reasonably secure backbone. Lots of commercial software too, which really makes me jealous &^%&&*! Hardware all works out of the box.

It does have bugs, proprietry lock-in, and the desktop compositing layer can be slow for some APIs. Other minor drawbacks.

So I'm glad to say i'm sticking with Linux. Less bugs, powerful KDE-3.5, GNU Utils, Nvidia's GL drivers, Reiser3, (yes i know it's all stone-age ;>) and the rock that is the Linux kernel. But for anyone who's not a developer or Unix graduate... Kudos to Steve Jobs for his amazing operating system.
                      Last edited by stevenaaus; 17 August 2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X