X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Nvidia's blob support for FreeBSD is laughable at best. AMD's non-existent. The reason is simple: noone is using FreeBSD for 3d graphics. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD doesn't have a workstation market, hence no money are to be made there.

Which leaves open-source support. How many FreeBSD developers are contributing to Mesa, Gallium and R300/R600/Nouveau/Intel? Count them and I think you'll see why the driver situation sucks there.
    How is it laughable? Have you tested it? Has Phoronix tested it? Do I see a benchmark in our future?

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Nvidia's blob support for FreeBSD is laughable at best. AMD's non-existent. The reason is simple: noone is using FreeBSD for 3d graphics. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD doesn't have a workstation market, hence no money are to be made there.

Which leaves open-source support. How many FreeBSD developers are contributing to Mesa, Gallium and R300/R600/Nouveau/Intel? Count them and I think you'll see why the driver situation sucks there.

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Yes, I do.

To answer the rest of the replies, the complaint is the only support is FOSS drivers that is slow progressing and new hardware is not yet supported. So, you don't even have the open source option. If the community decides 'it's good enough' or 'it will take months/years' to achieve features A, B and C, you don't have another driver option (i.e. binary blob). The Nvidia equivalent is less than ideal but it's supported and should work to some degree... at least, you can use recent hardware with it.

Kano's point is also good as well... they're supporting Solaris... what about the excuse that the market share is super low or percentage of users is low? Where is AMD?
    Maybe Oracle is paying for it?

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Sorry, I have an older model card. It is a 5200 FX, IT doesn't have support in 64-bit.
    OK, that makes sense now. Ya it is GF6 and up.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Sorry, I have an older model card. It is a 5200 FX, IT doesn't have support in 64-bit.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Meh, but they don't for 64 bit...
    Since when?

Download the English (US) FreeBSD Display Driver – x64 for FreeBSD x64 systems. Released 2010.12.13

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    And that explains Nvidia having support for BSD, how?
    Meh, but they don't for 64 bit...

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    BSD is to Linux what Linux is to Windows, in market share among other things. Nice troll anyway, 6/10.
    And that explains Nvidia having support for BSD, how?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    BSD is to Linux what Linux is to Windows, in market share among other things. Nice troll anyway, 6/10.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    do you realy think anyone care about bsd ?
    Only people who care about stability over cutting edge and a true free license that doesn't interfere with people who want to use certian items like dtrace and zfs or people who want to use grandcentral, llvm, clang, etc. No OS fits everyone. Like any other OS, BSD has it's advantages over the others in certain areas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X