Redox OS Scores A Massive Performance Boost For I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    How does it compare to Linux? It got to be more performant for such a headline
    So nobody can ever talk about a big performance boost in software unless it is faster than the equivalent capability / subsystem in Linux?

Comment

...and can the 'concept'/change be simply ported and tested to existing regular Linucii? Or is this feature a Rust language exclusive?
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        ...and can the 'concept'/change be simply ported and tested to existing regular Linucii? Or is this feature a Rust language exclusive?
        This update is about Redox, not Linux. Linux and GNU libc have already had decades of optimizations for them. Redox is working with a clean slate, so it doesn't have that yet.

Comment

I noticed they have a rust written libc implementation for this Redox OS. As far as I understand it, there is no truly self hosted rust language implementation that doesn't rely on already having some kind of c library available at rust build time and runtime, so I don't currently see the necessity of that subproject. Can anyone clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Jokes aside, if Kent goes ahead with his plan of aggressively adopting Rust in Bcachefs, this may well just happen.
            I dunno, RedoxFS is already supposed to implement zfs-like features. I don't see why they'd need it.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              did you forget that phoronix is also "open source news?" it's not just about linux lol

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

I dunno, RedoxFS is already supposed to implement zfs-like features. I don't see why they'd need it.
                because bcachefs good and will have interop with linux

Comment

Originally posted by justinkb View Post
                  I noticed they have a rust written libc implementation for this Redox OS. As far as I understand it, there is no truly self hosted rust language implementation that doesn't rely on already having some kind of c library available at rust build time and runtime, so I don't currently see the necessity of that subproject. Can anyone clarify?
                  The C library is needed to port C programs. But Redox has libredox, its own userspace interface to the operating system syscalls.

Comment

Originally posted by justinkb View Post
                    I noticed they have a rust written libc implementation for this Redox OS.
                    Isn't that self hosted by definition?
                    As far as I understand it, there is no truly self hosted rust language implementation that doesn't rely on already having some kind of c library available at rust build time and runtime
                    If you use #![no_std]​ you don't need libc. Since we want to be able to communicate with C libraries (syscalls to kernel) in most cases, libc is needed. Of course you could rewrite libc in rust but would also need some asm code I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                      If you use #![no_std]​ you don't need libc. Since we want to be able to communicate with C libraries (syscalls to kernel) in most cases, libc is needed. Of course you could rewrite libc in rust but would also need some asm code I bet.
                      Two projects to look into are sunfishcode's eyra/mustang/c-gull (for c-gull its part of c-ward), and ofc redox's relibc as an appendage some related projects

Rust programs written entirely in Rust. Contribute to sunfishcode/mustang development by creating an account on GitHub.

Rust programs written entirely in Rust. Contribute to sunfishcode/eyra development by creating an account on GitHub.

An implementation of libc written in Rust. Contribute to sunfishcode/c-ward development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                      X