No announcement yet.

ReactOS Making Progress On Its GUI-Based Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already in the early phase it is better than all of the Windows installers combined unironically, including the new one they are designing now. idk what it costs Microsoft to add decent partitioning options.

Comment

Always glad to see reactOS making progress, can't wait to use it for my retro gaming setups

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
      They should focus much more on being deployed in VMs rather than on bare metal.

Who is going to boot into ReactOS actually, on bare metal? There is a lot of stuff not working with ReactOS, which forces you to boot back to your primary OS rather sooner than later. Being run in a VM instead it wouldn't harm the workflow but offer additional options, at least when you have to run some legacy software. I guess most people will experience it like that. Fullscreen is still possible so you will have the same UI experience.

Why waste time in supporting countless physical devices when all what is needed is a bunch of virt-xyz devices?
      aside from retro gaming, I know two businesses who are following reactOS closely because they want to deploy it on bare metal for their legacy equipment

Comment

A couple of years ago I didn't think Haiku would ever become more than a fan recreation of a retro OS. Today, I'm nearly convinced it could be my daily driver.

I'm always happy to see this project progress. Even without any conceivable use, let's call it a love letter to classic Windows.

One day ReactOS may become the choice OS to install on some vintage computer to play retro games or run software that only worked on the no longer supported Windows XP.

Comment

Wake me up when ReactOS runs Office 365 (not the browser version).

Comment

It's bootloader is still crap!
            1-2 years ago when I last tested I could not boot it on my laptop.
            Now I tried again and guess what:
            It doesn't boot in UEFI mode!
            It doesn't boot in legacy mode either!
            It shows some error about the bootloader it uses.

Comment

Nice, and USB Boot is now working since 0.4.13-dev-942-g88cf5b0. Was that a news?

Comment

NTFS support will be added on December 31st 2124.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
                  They should ...
                  I knew there would be "they should"-posts when I read ReactOS in the title

Comment

I tried to install my old Thinkpad x131e. Ended up taking the nightly to get it get through install. Windows Realtek drivers for the ethernet worked on it. I couldn't get past a couple reboots before it broke and corrupted. I think I reinstalled 20 times in a few days. I think the reliability should be a higher priority IMO.

Comment

Many react devs appreciate the effort /s

Comment

Working...
                      X