• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

If you think this is the only place then you haven't looked at Slashdot
    Wait, do you mean this is not Slashdot?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

In all fairness he is 100 percent spot on in that article.

If it wasn't for Microsoft, Intel, AMD, HP and a bunch of other big companies Linux would not be anywhere near to what it is today.
      I think he is kind of saying the opposite. If it wasn't for hobbyists developing Linux for big companies to borrow, they would be nothing without the "free labor of amateurs".

The Rocky and Alma people take RH's and Fedora's work, rename it
      .. and my work. And I give Rocky and Alma full permission to do so; as per the GPL. Which Red Hat is also bound by.

Is this communism? Sounds more like people just sharing work.

Comment

Originally posted by User29 View Post

I'd really like to see an independent code audit report on the code quality and actual security ("perfection") of *bsd code.

It's always advertised they are waaay better than linux, but I haven't seen any hard evidence yet.
        I don't know about openBSD, but FreeBSD kernel has lower quality of code than Linux kernel. It was stated on some FreeBSD conference, where they showed code metrics and was stated, that Linux commits were smaller and maybe some other metrics better for Linux than FreeBSD. And in past there were two articles, one about super bad implementation of wireguard and second about FreeBSD ZFS code was replaced by shared LinuxOnZFS code

Comment

I guess I have a different experience than y’all do with FreeBSD. I distro hopped linux for about a decade. I was never satisfied with desktops. Widgets crash, desktop freeze, I reboot several times a day. About 2 years ago, I tried FreeBSD, and now can count on a rock solid desktop. I haven’t rebooted in several weeks. Reminds me of the VAX.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I don't know of anyone who hates Rust, but there seem to be plenty of people who (understandably) hate Rust zealots.
            I hate rust, the package management/cargo cult, the fucking syntax (it’s worse than C++ for christ’s same), fuck rust.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              .. and my work. And I give Rocky and Alma full permission to do so; as per the GPL. Which Red Hat is also bound by.

Is this communism? Sounds more like people just sharing work.
              So you have no problem with them making millions every year from your work?

How much of that are they sharing with you?

Comment

Originally posted by bumblebritches57 View Post

I hate rust, the package management/cargo cult, the fucking syntax (it’s worse than C++ for christ’s same), fuck rust.
                I tried to, but it told me it only liked me as a friend,

Comment

In terms of code, they share all of it. They have to. GPL is good like that. Whether Rocky/RedHat/Alma/Oracle; it doesn't matter.

In terms of money, I earn more income from their contributions, than they earn from mine. Given their size, I believe that to be very fair.

I think open-source works very well.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 22 January 2024, 07:40 PM.

Comment

In all fairness he is 100 percent spot on in that article.

The article is from 2005 and Linux was nowhere near as usable as it is now.

If it wasn't for Microsoft, Intel, AMD, HP and a bunch of other big companies Linux would not be anywhere near to what it is today.

This quote from the article is as true today as it was back then:

This, for me, really encapsulates my biggest problem with Linux and GPL software in general and it's that you have one group of people that are scamming another group of people by promoting a false narrative.

All you have to do is look at the comments on this board and others to see how many view the GPL, as this Kumbaya​ my Lord hippie movement where people contribute code for the good of humanity, but the truth is much darker.

The GPL is supposed to prevent people's code from being "stolen" but in reality is encourages people to work so that other people can get rich.

Examples:

Linus and the Linux Foundation. The LF makes about 177 million dollars a year, Linus pockets 1.7 million a year to maintain Linux and you have suckers, i mean programmers, that submit code to the Linux kernel for free,

Red Hat, Fedora, Rocky, Alma and the while incestuous clan: Red Hat makes billions, though in all fairness they are also one of the biggest contributors to open source. The give lots of money to the Fedora group, which they obfuscate by using deceptive names that makes it difficult to find the public filings they are required to file.

Near as I can tell RH gives Fedora millions every year. But according to people on this forum that claim to be developers that work on Fedora, specifically the Fedora KDE spin, they don't get a dime for their work.

The Rocky and Alma people take RH's and Fedora's work, rename it, and up until recently were bragging on their websites that each of them had one sponsors that gave them a million dollars a year plus about a dozen other sponsors.

Sp you have a situation where people are wrapping themselves in the GPL, other people buy into their hogwash, work for free contributing code, so that the first group can get rich while the second group is fed a big streaming pile and convinced they are making the world a better place.

Linux is the ultimate embodiment of communism, people convinced to follow a movement that allows others to get rich.
                    A true RedHat fanboy

Comment

So you have no problem with them making millions every year from your work?

They are doing their own work on top of mine, and sharing that with me. You know what? I'm perfectly happy with the outcome. I receive more than I give.

Comment

Working...
                      X