No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 14 Nears Release With Support For Up To 1024 CPU Cores, Updated Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 14 Nears Release With Support For Up To 1024 CPU Cores, Updated Drivers

Phoronix: FreeBSD 14 Nears Release With Support For Up To 1024 CPU Cores, Updated Drivers

The release candidate is out this weekend for FreeBSD 14.0 as the developers work toward releasing FreeBSD 14 stable in early November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

<insert XKCD comic about the need for 1024 cores>

Comment

FreeBSD has been powering my admittedly very low end file server for a few years now. But, its lack of driver support for recent desktop/laptop hardware is pretty evident that most of its moneyed backers seem to be only interested in its server capabilities. Those are robust, while its desktop oriented hardware support is anemic. I was going to set up a FreeBSD workstation earlier this year, but realized that it would be impossible in my circumstance because FreeBSD lacked support for the AC WIFI (v13 doesn't support AC/AX protocol at all) chip on the motherboard nor does its Linux-based AMD GPU driver support the barely year-old video card (yet). I'm not alleging FreeBSD core/Foundation is letting moneyed interests influence its decisions. Rather, moneyed corporations are paying developers to support their interests as their day jobs so that work moves and integrated considerably faster than poor Joe who only works on hardware he has direct access to out of pocket and on his own time. Money is the grease that lubricates the skids.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        seem to be only interested in its server capabilities. Those are robust,
        Compared to what?

The *BSD myth is that they're better, more stable/secure/true/whatever than the most hated OS in the world (no, not Windows).

I've ~25 yrs of experience with linux. Now I'm at a company where we're running 35-40k linux servers around the world (both physical and virtual) and I can't say its "unstable" or any BSDs were more reliable. If there's no hardware failure or human error and you know what you are doing, linux is rock solid.

BTW it's easy to be "robust" when there are no frequent changes mostly because the hw support is like decades behind the world.

​​​​​​

Comment

Does it have support for smooth full-screen Flash videos yet?

Comment

But, its lack of driver support for recent desktop/laptop hardware is pretty evident that most of its moneyed backers seem to be only interested in its server capabilities.
            FreeBSD supports much more hardware than macOS and people still seem to suggest that is pretty good for non-server stuff.

Basically, just buy a Thinkpad laptop or a HP workstation and get on with your life. Simples!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              <insert XKCD comic about the need for 1024 cores>
              <insert XKCD comic about the need for yet another operating system>

I have always considered that FreeBSD and NetBSD exist solely to exist; a circular raison d'etre.

Comment

… FreeBSD core/Foundation …
                https://freebsdfoundation.org/blog/j...ojects-update/ two of the twelve projects related to Wi-Fi, one was documentation-related, and so on.

So, the focus is not solely on servers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Does it have support for smooth full-screen Flash videos yet?
                  Sorry, no, but it's rumoured that 16.0 will support eight-track cassettes, if that's up your alley.

Comment

Originally posted by grahamperrin View Post

Sorry, no, but it's rumoured that 16.0 will support eight-track cassettes, if that's up your alley.
                    Will it play my big ten inch
                    record of a band that plays the blues?

Comment

Working...
                    X