Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD's HAMMER2 File-System Seeing New Improvements, Initial Recovery Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's the issue. That doesn't work with programs that add/remove data as necessary, like a package manager with its cache. Subvolumes inherit the parent codec so someone would have to have to have some sort of a "btrfs property set <file> codec" daemon constantly running and pointed towards anywhere that doesn't use the primary volume's codec. IMHO, that's not an ideal setup.

Note that we're only talking about the file codec. There are other features like checksumming, how metadata is handled, etc that can also have those same subvolume limitations.

Agreed on that. Diversity encourages competition which drives advancements.
    Btrfs properties are inherited. If you set it on a normal directory, any new file created would inherit that property. No need to set it over and over. This is the recommended way over mount options.

True about other things. Linux VFS mount options can be set per mount (if you mount subvols), but checksum algorithm can only be set at mkfs time at the moment.

Oh and a zvol equivalent doesn't exist in btrfs. Closest thing would be a subvol with a loopback device on it.

​​​​​
    ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Agreed on that. Diversity encourages competition which drives advancements.
      How is it competition on filesystem level when both are exclusive to the other OS, so either port it to linux and if it's truly much better than bcachefs there is no reason to go forword with bcachefs anymore, if it's not feasable or takes many years... just make bcachefs so that it has all what's missing maybe.

Yes we have also many non-cow FS but they are less complex so I think it's less of a waste. We had good solid fs before the competition came along, I feel like bcachefs is still not mature and btrfs even I think it gets unfair much hate, is still not close to perfect either.

And then you had already the zfs that we finally seem to became irrelevant because it's not inkernel and the advantages slowly gone away because the 2 linux inkernel (or soon to be) FS closed the gap slightly. ZFS is what it is I don't see that it can get much better especially for not a extreme hardcore user.

Comment

Working...
      X