BSD-Powered helloSystem 0.8 Performance Against Linux On AMD Zen 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Fedora is for many years king. I would say at least 5 years.
    Fedora was the first distro using Wayland per default on Gnome many years ago and it worked very well from the beginning.
    This is not true since the GTK / Gnome stack had serious bottlenecks on Wayland for the first few releases. Also in no way Fedora-specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

True, Fedora is king!

That's why it doesn't even show up in the Steam statistics in the first place, because, you know -- because it's the shadow king!!
      Manjaro is one of the most used distros in the Steam statistics.

And I think we could all agree that Manjaro is king of absolutelity fcking up everything consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

More than that. Take a much faster initial repo sync, for example. The first run of dnf in Fedora in painfully slow, one can easily watch a movie while that... Oopsie, one actually cannot watch a film due to codecs issue, rage intensifies
        What a poor take.

The codec thing, I agree. Also the drivers are more difficult to set up due to not having a GUI for that (there's Gnome Software, but it doesn't guide you as much as the Ubuntu one does).

The dnf repo? Nobody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

What a poor take.

The codec thing, I agree. Also the drivers are more difficult to set up due to not having a GUI for that (there's Gnome Software, but it doesn't guide you as much as the Ubuntu one does).

The dnf repo? Nobody cares.
          To the contrary, it goes for everyone. How are you going to install drivers if the first dnf sync takes forever to finish? One won't even get to the drivers part and rather reboots to something more sane by default like Manjaro or Ubuntu. Even openSUSE is better in this regard.
          Last edited by openminded; 27 January 2023, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Discussions between Ubuntu and Fedora fanboys are quite amusing for Arch users

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

The only thing Ubuntu has in reality is the codecs. And maybe an easier installer.
              nah! the only actual thing Ubuntu has better than Fedora is font rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
                and rather reboots to something more sane by default like Manjaro
                Probably lucky if it even boots for him. 2 Years after my GPU was released, the Manjaro ISO booted to a black screen. Works fine on any other distro, it even boots fine on ISOs from before that thing was released. The thing is, it helps tremendously if your distro is not made by clowns. nomodeset to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post
                  Discussions between Ubuntu and Fedora fanboys are quite amusing for Arch users
                  Not a fanboy of any. My daily driver is Manjaro. But I try those two from time to time just to see their progress.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

nah! the only actual thing Ubuntu has better than Fedora is font rendering.
                    You forgot now: a paying edition, fat net install images, russian roulette installer with DLC that doesn't like complicated disk setups and confusing network settings

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                      with DLC that doesn't like complicated disk setups
                      You are right there, RAID 1 with ext4 is a huge pain to upgrade. My mom's computer that I manage for her broke when I upgraded from 20.04.x to 22.04.1. But my dad's that didn't have RAID 1 setup updated just fine. Also, I had to use the server install media to get RAID 1 setup in the first place! FreeBSD on the other hand makes RAID 1 with ZFS easy as pie!

Comment

Working...
                      X