Genode OS Framework 22.08 With Improvements For Mobile Phone OS Ambitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS Framework 22.08 With Improvements For Mobile Phone OS Ambitions

Phoronix: Genode OS Framework 22.08 With Improvements For Mobile Phone OS Ambitions

Genode OS as the open-source operating system framework based on a micro-kernel abstraction layer and a set of user-space components is out with its newest feature release. A big focus this cycle has been on making Genode OS more practical as a smartphone operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to use GNOME apps on my Android phone. Would that somehow be possible?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I would like to use GNOME apps on my Android phone. Would that somehow be possible?
      It's possible. Is it likely it will happen? No .

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        If there is a wayland compatibility layer for SurfaceFlinger which is the display server android uses. Doubt this will happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

If there is a wayland compatibility layer for SurfaceFlinger which is the display server android uses. Doubt this will happen though.
          Or maybe if a SurfaceFlinger backend was added to GTK 4 in addition to the existing Wayland, X11 and Windows backend.
          Or if it was possible to run Wayland on SurfaceFlinger kind of like XWayland is X running on Wayland.

Comment

Mobile phone OS variation is super important. That being said: bootloaders for phones need to be treated more like a standard PC (pre-Pluton) and be less locked down.

Or as a compromise, keep the phone's bootloader locked if on a payment plan or mobile contract where the user does not "fully own" the device. Unlock the bootloader after the device is paid off.

Or an even further business-centric thought process: keep the bootloader locked until after the device no longer receives security updates. Once the device is a security threat, allow folks to install their own OS.

This idealism aside, it seems like manufacturers really only focus on customer retention via rapid repeated upgrade cycles; but they forget their customers who operate on a slower (but lifetime) upgrade cycle. (Example: my grandfather who is 86 years old had one of the first Nokia phones in the 1990s, and has stayed with the brand through Symbian, Windows Phone, then now Android as an offshoot licensed brand)

He upgrades his devices every 5-7 years and gives the old one to someone who needs it. That person who receives his old smartphone (especially if a child) -- now an exploitable security threat. I am certain he is not the only person who gives away "hand me down phones" to the extended family. (Same with laptops...)

I plan on living well into the 2060s or 2070s... though based on my family genetics I may make it intp the 2080s.

Give me the ability to install any OS on a mobile device that I can use for any reason, heck, even if that reason is to put it into humidity-controlled storage with other sensitive items --- then reminisce when I'm older --- even if no other use case presents itself.

For now though: my Nexus 4 works with UBPorts Ubuntu Touch OS based on 16.04 - and I sure am eager for an upgrade to 20.04 .

That being said: the other issue is availability of drivers and manufacturers' willingness to release anything that might endanger their IP. If mobile took nVidia's approach maybe life would be better and more gadgets could run UBTouch and PostMarketOS and GenodeOS.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Genode OS Framework 22.08 With Improvements For Mobile Phone OS Ambitions

Genode OS as the open-source operating system framework based on a micro-kernel abstraction layer and a set of user-space components is out with its newest feature release. A big focus this cycle has been on making Genode OS more practical as a smartphone operating system...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Genode-OS-22.08

Comment

Working...
            X