Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BeOS-Inspired Haiku Makes Progress On Driver Porting, Plans For Usable RISC-V Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squash View Post

I think your requirements just aren't a match for the Haiku project's goals. Fortunately, we already have Linux so they don't have to be. Steam compatible would be a pretty absurd goal.
    Why is running Steam (or any 3d accelerated game or program) with Wine an absurd goal? Until Proton came out Wine+Windows Steam+Game was the acceptable Linux solution. It still is for the hardcore who are anti-Valve. Why is wanting to do that in another operating system that has Wine support absurd? Of course, that's assuming that 3d acceleration is on Haiku's roadmap...which reminds me, FreeBSD outta be coming close to being able to do that with my GPU, if it isn't already...the one good thing about being too broke to upgrade from an RX 580

Comment

I think your requirements just aren't a match for the Haiku project's goals. Fortunately, we already have Linux so they don't have to be. Steam compatible would be a pretty absurd goal.
      Why tho? The KDE part I get, the goal of Haiku is to share the same UX as BeOS', so using KDE actively contradicts it. But Steam compatible is a problem exactly how?

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
        Only with the Linux kernel it will happen.
        With that it will never happen.

Comment

Steam compatible would be a pretty absurd goal.
          That's what people said about Wine on Haiku as well, yet here it is.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Why is running Steam (or any 3d accelerated game or program) with Wine an absurd goal? Until Proton came out Wine+Windows Steam+Game was the acceptable Linux solution. It still is for the hardcore who are anti-Valve. Why is wanting to do that in another operating system that has Wine support absurd? Of course, that's assuming that 3d acceleration is on Haiku's roadmap...which reminds me, FreeBSD outta be coming close to being able to do that with my GPU, if it isn't already...the one good thing about being too broke to upgrade from an RX 580
            It's not an absurd goal for you, because you're the one asking for it not the one expected to deliver it. You can ask for whatever you want of course. But Haiku isn't Linux, they don't have a million independent developers all working on their own desires. They're working to mature their desktop (which isn't KDE), get additional useful apps, get more basic hardware support so that you can run it on something modern that isn't Virtualbox. You want to play games and run a unix desktop on a non-unix operating system.

Haiku isn't some up and coming new project with tons of momentum, they've been around for 21 years and are still getting to where a regular person can run it... but you want to play games and run a desktop they are purposely competing with.

And the important thing, your needs are already met by an OS that was the bulk of the motivation for creating the desktop interface you want and is officially supported by the game vendor you want, so it's one of those deals where you can wish for steam on haiku in one and and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.

Comment

It's not an absurd goal for you, because you're the one asking for it not the one expected to deliver it. You can ask for whatever you want of course. But Haiku isn't Linux, they don't have a million independent developers all working on their own desires. They're working to mature their desktop (which isn't KDE), get additional useful apps, get more basic hardware support so that you can run it on something modern that isn't Virtualbox. You want to play games and run a unix desktop on a non-unix operating system.

Haiku isn't some up and coming new project with tons of momentum, they've been around for 21 years and are still getting to where a regular person can run it... but you want to play games and run a desktop they are purposely competing with.

And the important thing, your needs are already met by an OS that was the bulk of the motivation for creating the desktop interface you want and is officially supported by the game vendor you want, so it's one of those deals where you can wish for steam on haiku in one and and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.
              You looked at my statement from a really negative perspective. As a 10 year KDE user I've come to depend on certain programs of theirs like Kate, Yakuake, KCalc, Dolphin, and their system monitor; as a 24 year Linux and FOSS user I've come to depend on various Open Offices, now LibreOffice, to do my office work and Wine to fill in some gaming needs. Seeing virtually everything I use on a regular basis available on Haiku makes me very ecstatic and happy.

Me saying, "Wow, it be really great if 3d acceleration worked so all my OS needs are met." isn't demanding anything of anyone; it's just me stating that literally everything on my Desktop OS Checklist is checked off except for 3d acceleration for games. I'm very excited about that since that means the needs of a lot of developers that can help out are likely met by Haiku now. "You mean it can do everything I normally do except for games? I should check that out." is what I'd like to think people will think to themselves when they come to that conclusion.

And I was wanting Wine+Windows Steam, not native Haiku Steam. That kind of makes me nostalgic for the pre-Proton days where we'd have 29 different Wine builds...though I don't miss the part about having 29 different Wine builds...but finding that right combination of patches to build Wine with get your Windows game running could be just as fun as the game itself.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post

Sure. Principles according to this (older) presentation:
                • KISS: Keep It Smart and Simple
                • Don't do everything; do one thing and be good at it.
                • Modular yet Extensible.
                Further discussion e.g. here.

Note that I state that UNIX philosophy != POSIX. Different beasts. POSIX is more like an implementation of said philosophy. I suspect that Haiku somewhat follows such a modular philosophy with clean interfaces, but ultimately it's more about a nice user experience and fun.

Modern Linux distributions are moving away from both POSIX (good thing probably with new API kernel calls better utilizing modern hardware) and moving away from the UNIX philosophy (SystemD becoming a jack of all trades, mixed feelings about that.) The best implementation of the UNIX philosophy might be in the non-UNIX Plan9.
                While it was doing this up untill the package management got added.. the package management is a complex system of mountable images and overlays, that results in areas of the filesystem being "special" as well as having many of the normal config paths being read only. With special non-packaged folders all over the config paths. So clearly... whoever designed that was drunk. And I'll add that when all that was added it about quadrupled ram usage... its currently back dont to purportedly be be bootable in 384 MB of ram but 256MB used to be more than enough for a very usable system and you could boot in 128.... basically the runtime cost of the package manager is extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

While it was doing this up untill the package management got added.. the package management is a complex system of mountable images and overlays, that results in areas of the filesystem being "special" as well as having many of the normal config paths being read only. With special non-packaged folders all over the config paths. So clearly... whoever designed that was drunk. And I'll add that when all that was added it about quadrupled ram usage... its currently back dont to purportedly be be bootable in 384 MB of ram but 256MB used to be more than enough for a very usable system and you could boot in 128.... basically the runtime cost of the package manager is extreme.
                  That is bad news. Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                    Seems they went from zero to snap without stops.

Comment

Working...
                    X