Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Imagine all settings are passed with the URL
    The URL can point to a file, and you can have the settings in the file.
    But with a URL instead of having audio as /dev/audio as a file on the file system you can use URI schemes for it and use audio: and video: URI schemes and not have them as files on the file system when they're not really files.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The URL can point to a file, and you can have the settings in the file.
      But with a URL instead of having audio as /dev/audio as a file on the file system you can use URI schemes for it and use audio: and video: URI schemes and not have them as files on the file system when they're not really files.
      I was just remembered by this autogenerated web urls containing everything in chained hashes >

Comment

I'm looking forward to using Redox OS one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
          this focus on "everything written in rust" even the title reminds me of sectarian behaviors
          the rust community is weird, tying everything down to a language, as if the products don't even matter at all, worse than scientologists
          I am not fond of the Rust cargo cult, but seriously, why can't they do that?

If they were like "everything written in c" or "go" or "c++", would you also complain?

Comment

To me, the most interesting part of this isn't Redox OS itself. It boils down to...

System76 dude is messing around building an entire OS in Rust.

This makes me feel pretty good about their upcoming Rust based DE for Pop!_OS.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Reminds me of that pick two because you won't get all three saying.

Wait, we get to pick all three here? What's the catch?

Anytime you speak they're all gonna ask when you'll rewrite it in Rust. If you can manage not to commit a murder within the first three weeks of discussing Rust on the Internet you may have a future with the Rust Programming Language.
              The catch is that you don't get all FOUR: fast, reliable, secure and easy

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Programmers (beginners mostly, but not only) have a knee-jerk reaction when looking at a language they're not familiar with: "but it doesn't have feature X!". I believe C++ is a fine example of what happens when a language really does have (almost) all the features you can think of.
                There is also the fact that beginners typically believe that software development is an opportunity for them to show that they are "good programmers". Some mature to the stage where they realise that the whole point is to offer guarantees to the user, and guarantees are only valuable to the extent they are provable.
                Last edited by jacob; 29 April 2022, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

spot on / its always the same with new stuff
                  It's a typical knee-jerk reaction. It was the same with Fortran before C, with Java after C and today it's Rust, but also systemd vs *nix admins... Old-timers always believe that they have skills and experience that should be considered valuable, and they are scared of any new technology that simply *solves* the problem once and for all. Many airplane pilots were "knowledgeably" dismissive of fly-by-wire technology when Airbus introduced it on commercial airliners (some still are!). In the 19th century, more than one city (particularly in Germany) was petitioned by gaslight manufacturers and operators against the "fad" that was electric light.

Comment

Google should probably invest in this instead of Zircon and its C++ codebase.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The catch is that you don't get all FOUR: fast, reliable, secure and easy
                      ASM is a prime example for this

Comment

Working...
                      X