No announcement yet.

ReactOS "Open-Source Windows" Making Progress On SMP/Multi-Core Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reactos would have been ideal for the Steam Deck...

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
      Reactos would have been ideal for the Steam Deck...
      If Valve was not already moving towards Linux...
      The fact that Proton exists and Valve's own games have native Linux versions shows that clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
        This is of course a big *what-if* question. But if reactos could play more games or play them better then Proton, then I think valve would have used reactos instead. Since that is not the case, they of course chose Proton.

My question is, if Reactos had a Windows 98 theme, Windows XP stability and Windows 7 games compatibility, would there be any incentive for Valve to push Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          sophisticles

Windows always sucked at the edge and it stayed there. Linux scales to 4096 CPUs.
          Your comment reminded me of

I try to make the jump to daily driving Linux on the desktop every year, and so far there have always been deal-breaking issues for me, unfortunately. But my family is quite happy with their Linux web browsing boxes, so I guess there's hope.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
            Your comment reminded me of

I try to make the jump to daily driving Linux on the desktop every year, and so far there have always been deal-breaking issues for me, unfortunately. But my family is quite happy with their Linux web browsing boxes, so I guess there's hope.
            Whats your daily driver?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Whats your daily driver?
              Win10 with the TPM disabled so I don't get "upgraded" to 11
              I dabble in gaming so that was the most thorny issue, especially since I have a NVIDIA GPU with a G-SYNC monitor. I tried many things including passing the GPU to a VM, but that provided unstable performance in terms of frame pacing due to increased DPC latencies inside the VM. I enjoy competitive FPSes, so it's a deal-breaker. Having to juggle monitors and/or their sources was tiresome as well. Other solutions like native Steam, Proton, Lutris are all mostly fine, but require fiddling from time to time and I'm too lazy for that :P
              I also require the full Visual Studio, but that can be fixed in a number of ways, with RDP and/or a VM.
              Most other stuff I managed to work around, for example by buying a mouse and keyboard which can be programmed from Linux or store the configuration on device, so it doesn't require a DOS-style resident Cloud App (so not Razer).
              All in all, I do want to make the switch in the future, but the current crop of issues prevent it.

Comment

Much of their Russian funding has been said to be from Putin, so I wonder if they will be getting even more funding now. I'm sure the Russian military could find uses for ReactOS.

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post
                  Much of their Russian funding has been said to be from Putin, so I wonder if they will be getting even more funding now.
                  That's odd. On mobile, they've heavily invested in Aurora OS, a SailfishOS fork, so you'd think that they'd be interested in Linux on desktops too, given that SFOS (and thus Aurora) is a Linux distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
                    The fact that Proton exists and Valve's own games have native Linux versions shows that clearly.
                    It's mostly an issue with the DRM drivers, since those are going to be a massive effort to support on Linux (if it's even possible at all).
                    The primary point of ReactOS is that it's a Windows recreation down to it's core, so it can run all these drivers.
                    Of course, I don't think Valve should support DRM that invasive. They have a lot of clout and they should throw it around a little.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

To an extent but luckily if your usage of ReactOS is to run old Windows XP era software then it doesn't particularly matter. Many machines back then were not the most parallel of things.
                      The Q6600 was definitely released in XP era... (Vista doesn't really count as XP hung around untill Windows 7 took over) and lot of software for NT4 and later definitely uses multiple cores. You might even say we were in multithreading peak back then because mutithreading was done mainly when needed and not ad nauseam as it is today.

SMP was introduced to windows with NT 3.1... not 3.51 or 4 or even win2k.... but NT3.1 dual processor for the regular version and 4 processor for advanced server.
                      Last edited by cb88; 14 March 2022, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X