Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12.3 Released With Updated AMD & Networking Hardware, Password Protected ZIPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anux
    replied
    This seems to be a little strange. Maybe the BSD version has more dependencies than the linux version?
    On the contrary, ZIP ain't that complex and might well be doable with 1000 lines of C code. Maybe the linux version is faster or uses less memory?

Leave a comment:

• kvuj
    replied
    Oh yeah, they maintain their own unzip utility right? That's pretty cool.

What Linux distros are using is an ancient, unmaintained version (2009) with a bunch of distro patches on top. I think I also remember a couple of security vulnerabilities being present in it, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: It seems they are using NetBSD's utility and are often syncing with it (https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-s.../unzip/unzip.c).

EDIT2: Freebsd's version is 1133 lines while the one used by Arch is 82057 lines

Counted with:
    find -type f -name '*.[ch]' -exec cat {} + | grep -c '^'
    Last edited by kvuj; 08 December 2021, 12:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FreeBSD 12.3 Released With Updated AMD & Networking Hardware, Password Protected ZIPs

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12.3 Released With Updated AMD & Networking Hardware, Password Protected ZIPs

While FreeBSD 13 is the current stable version of this leading open-source BSD operating system, FreeBSD 12.3 shipped today for their N-1 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X