X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Those improvements are incredible

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Bhyve is a desert oasis compared to VMM. For example VMM is serial console or SSH only, no graphics.
      When the primary complaint with regards to an administrator tool is the lack of alternative UIs, you're doing pretty well...

Comment

It's cool that FreeBSD is getting positive PR and all, but as a long-term (since '91) FreeBSD user and general computer nerd, I'm inclined to disbelieve all of these benchmark results. I know that it's possible to run tightly-focused benchmarks that exercise a particular piece of system code or architecture in a way that will show big improvements or regressions, but this appears to be a wide variety of somewhat application-level code showing consistent and large differences. Plausible results would be less even and significantly smaller than these.

If you're doing it right, you could see improvements from a compiler upgrade, if the compiler writers added significant new optimizations (both Clang and GCC have indeed had good improvements in the six-to-ten version timeframe, but not so much from 10 to 11, as far as I know). Almost all well-written applications, as opposed to special-case benchmarks, are going to be limited to the performance of the hardware: the OS just shouldn't be getting in the way to any significant amount, and so OS version upgrades should be mostly invisible. I'm running 12-STABLE myself, and I'll move to 13 when it moves to -STABLE, and I don't expect to see any kind of performance difference. If I do, I'll write about it!

Comment

BlueCrayon NetBSD's NVMM is good if you want virtualization on BSD

Comment

Incredible, considered that FreeBSD 12.2 seems to be more reactive than Linux to me.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              When the primary complaint with regards to an administrator tool is the lack of alternative UIs, you're doing pretty well...
              What I was getting at is that on OpenBSD one can't run Linux with graphics nor Windows anything and since the OS doesn't support 32bit on 64 and therefore wine and the linuxemulator was stripped out in version 6.0 good luck running most games and/or chrome for streaming media. FreeBSD finally got Chrome working via Linux jails so you can run some things that only work in full Chrome. I feel like OpenBSD would be my daily driver if I could play games on it and stream content from streaming platforms but right now I triple boot windows 10, Freebsd 12.x, and OpenBSD. I am truly in awe of what the r/openBSD_gaming community has been able to do on such a gaming crippled OS.

Comment

Originally posted by areilly View Post
                Almost all well-written applications, as opposed to special-case benchmarks, are going to be limited to the performance of the hardware
                Let me play the devil's advocate a little - are you sure that for example a game benchmark on Linux+Nouveau vs Linux+NVIDIA should give the same results, because the hardware is the same and the tested binary is the same? If not, why and why doesn't that reason apply for this article too?

I've picked this specific example because I suppose that the P-State support could provide this performance increase (it's similar to the blocked re-clocking on Nouveau, which is the #1 reason for Nouveau being so slow). On the other hand, I originally came here with a question similar to yours - would big name companies use FreeBSD if it was running on ~50% of other platforms performance, would the added stability be worth it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by creoflux View Post
                  Check out those OnLogic computers! Look forward to seeing the article on those. Also, congrats to the FreeBSD folks on delivering such great improvements.
                  At work we have some of them - they are really good. nice devices.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
                    Incredible, considered that FreeBSD 12.2 seems to be more reactive than Linux to me.
                    In your dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
                      If you configured your graphical environment yourself, which seems to be necessary on FreeBSD, then you might have done a X11 session with no compositor. It is a faster response because there's no buffering to the video output. A compositor tends to add about one frame of latency.

It isn't the way I prefer to run graphics, but it works OK.

Comment

Working...
                      X