helloSystem Wants To Be The "macOS of BSDs" With A Polished Desktop Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    I talked about Wifi cards, printers and PCIE capture cards.Desktop accessories.
    you are unaware of popularity of arm desktops?
    Who the fuck talked about ARM SoCs?
    i'm and billions of android users. what the fuck are you doing here in real world?
    So do mine. And those same dongles work like shit in Linux even with a built-in kernel driver.
    my dongles work on linux without issues. and they don't work on windows at all because windows doesn't come with their drivers. clearly linux is superior to windows and i'm smarter than you.
    No such problems with the Windows drivers.
    those are not windows drivers, those are vendor drivers. they are written by same people who wrote your driver for linux, with same skill, so windows drivers are also buggy, maybe your model was lucky.
    Clear proof that the kernel drivers are as complete crap as the desktop Linux users who boast about the quality of the built-in kernel drivers who don't even know what it means to have hardware providing the expected level of performance that warrants their price tag.
    i have no problems with kernel drivers, you have problems with kernel drivers. and of course my hardware has better performance on linux than on windows. clearly it's a proof that you are imbecile.
    Buying expensive HP printers to use on Linux only shows your stupidity when other printers from Canon, Brother, etc cost much lesser.
    any printer is cheap. canon, brother etc come with windows tax. and as i said you should just buy network-attached printer supporting some standard protocol. btw, hp has largest printer marketshare, i.e. everyone buys hp anyway.
    Only losers have to buy stuff based on compatibility lists.
    only imbeciles have to limit os choice out of sheer stupidity
    not being able to give a proper apples-apples comparison.
    still waiting for proper apples-apples comparison of arm drivers from you

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

Also, the problems about the filesystem layout mainly stem from Linux/BSD being Unixes. Let's face it, it is insane to put all of the binaries in /bin, and /usr/bin, all the config files in /etc ( and often replicated in the $HOME ), etc... It is a problem that Apple solved discretely. Same for Windows. Gobolinux tried to solve it, but it hasn't gained too much traction. Clear Linux is a recent Linux distro trying to do the same, in an innovative way. We will see.
      I'm actually doing something like that right now. On my Debian installation, i leave the system hierarchy as-is for the system libraries and stuff that make up a functional OS with GUI.

Then, inside my /home, i create a /Runtime folder with the following hierarchy:
      /Runtime
      - ./Applications
      - ./bin
      - ./lib
      - ./lib64 (symlinked to the above ./lib directory)
      - ./include
      - ./extra
      - ./Downloaded

Downloaded binary applications (FOSS and proprietary) that are statically compiled or bundled with their own libraries go to their own folder in $HOME/Runtime/Downloaded, e.g.: Edge, Opera, Skype, Team, Zoom, etc. They are not allowed to contaminate anything in the ./Runtime folder

Libraries and stuff that I compile as dependencies for applications that I intend to build from source are compiled and installed into $HOME/Runtime/bin, $HOME/Runtime/lib, $HOME/Runtime/lib64 and $HOME/Runtime/include. These libraries will never be updated to ensure stability and consistency.

If any library or executable in $HOME/Runtime/bin, $HOME/Runtime/lib or $HOME/Runtime/lib64 needs to be updated for use in compiling a new application, they get built and installed into $HOME/Runtime/extra/<name and version>. examples being multiple versions of node, Rust, libxml. etc. I will then configure the application build process to look inside $HOME/Runtime/extra before looking into $HOME/Runtime/lib or $HOME/Runtime/lib64

Lastly, applications (Chromium, FF, Filezila, Wireshark, etc) that I compile will be installed to $HOME/Runtime/Applications/<name and version>

The outcome is a clear segregation between system and user applications, with compiled applications looking at my own libraries instead of the system's. This means I can copy out the Runtime folder and pop it into any installation of the same distribution, and get started with my software immediately. No need to touch the shitty package manager, which are the spawn of the devil.

Im still exploring ways to refine this hierarchy even further to reduce the number of directories within the ./Runtine folder. One such plan is to simplify it into:

/Runtime
      - ./Applications
      - ./Core
      ---./bin
      ---./lib
      ---./lib64 (symlinked to the above ./lib directory)
      ---./include
      - ./Extra
      - ./Downloaded
      Last edited by Sonadow; 11 February 2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Do not forget to add your hardware to the Hello database by https://github.com/linuxhw/hw-probe/...on-hellosystem

Comment

And Windows supports 100% of them by virtue of it being the de facto desktop and laptop OS. Any single hardware that is designed to be used with a desktop, laptop or workstation will definitely have downloadable and installable Windows drivers available, either by Microsoft or the hardware vendors themselves.
          This is not true for 3-5 years old computers.

Comment

And Windows supports 100% of them [...]
            I got a great laugh out of this. I gather the meaning, still such a statement so far from the truth brought me great giggles so thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post

Mac ways in UI look & feel are totally bizarre IMO.

Good or bad, Windoze is simpler, cleaner and therefore better.
              If needed it could be turned into pretty much anything too. Macos OTOH shoehorns the user to behave the way *it* wants.

Sometimes I think Jobs was just a misanthrope who reveled in the fact he made people pay silly money to use the garbage he came up with (or at least peddled to them).

PS Gnome 3 seems to have taken the worst of both worlds
              Which OS have you used more - Windows or macOS? If Windows then how can you prove your opinion is not subjective? Mac GUI isn't complicated and not clean. Maybe it is for Windows user but it's pretty obvious that Windows user will prefer desktops similar to Windows. For long time Mac user Windows won't be better and he would say that "macOS is simpler, cleaner and better". How can you objectively prove he is wrong?

And Microsoft never tried to force users to fit into their vision without asking?

GNOME is not following Windows desktop metaphor but it doesn't mean it's bad. Windows UI is not "ultimate and the best UI that everybody should follow". Of course Windows users won't be comfortable with GNOME but it's also pretty obvious. That's why we have more desktop on Linux than just GNOME.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              what do they think about macos technologically and in terms of features?
              novideo doesn't have proper support even on linux
              Looks like then want simple desktop with not very big amount of configuration. Simple in terms of features and technology.

Comment

I tried to install the last versions on Vbox and VirtManage but I couldn't go over a black screen... 🤷‍♂️
                Last edited by Danielsan; 02 March 2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                  Which OS have you used more - Windows or macOS? If Windows then how can you prove your opinion is not subjective? Mac GUI isn't complicated and not clean. Maybe it is for Windows user but it's pretty obvious that Windows user will prefer desktops similar to Windows. For long time Mac user Windows won't be better and he would say that "macOS is simpler, cleaner and better". How can you objectively prove he is wrong?
                  Win10 UI "clean". Moment of laugh. It's a messy mix of new modern UI and old. To get something done you have to use both all too often.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Win10 UI "clean". Moment of laugh. It's a messy mix of new modern UI and old. To get something done you have to use both all too often.
                    Well, I didn't say that.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                      Well, I didn't say that.
                      I did.
                      IMHO last good looking Windows was Vista. It was esthetically pleasing to look at and use. Windows 7 was already slight letdown, Win8.1 was well-nigh unusable out of the box - because new UI used different concepts than "classic" and user had to literally fight it to get things done. It was especially shitty experience behind machines lacking touch screen - you had to use mouse and keyboard to interact with GUI's designed for touchscreens.. arrgh

Windows 10 has reverted some of it but is still somewhat weird mix of new UI and old where you sometimes cant even understand what does what. For example, you can change IP address from old and new UI's both. You can set one on DHCP and other static - go figure now which one would actually take effect.

Example:
                      Can you see the discrepancy? Modern UI should have IP assignment set to DHCP as well. If I now went and actually changed it to something like 192.168.111.21 - would it take priority over the value in classic ui?

I use it solely because for gaming there's not a fuck else as an alternative (dont preach me about linux, it doesnt support games I like), otherwise I would erase it from my drives without an afterthought. Even after stripping out apps, replacing firewalls and customizations, its still not convenient to use.

OSX.. you may not like the look or precise approach but at least Apple can make consistent UI's..
                      Last edited by aht0; 09 March 2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X