Google's Fuchsia Open-Source OS To Begin Accepting Community Contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stikonas View Post

#1 should be solved by opening writing free/open source drivers instead of rewriting OS that allows proprietary drivers.
    Well Google didn't have this choice, the best they can do is encourage companies to make their drivers open source but they can't exactly compel them (at least if Google wants to release a competitive smartphone and/or become vertically integrated and make their own hardware).

Comment

Hmmm, advertising baked in the Kernel.

Comment

Fuchsia is an open source project that is inclusive by design, from the architecture of the platform itself, to the open source community that we’re building.
        googlers still haven't learned that open source communities are not "built" by trillion dollar mega-corporations. Communities are created when lots of individuals find common purposes and decide to forge ahead as a group effort.

Maybe they need to build a better AI to ask how to more effectively fake friendship and camaraderie.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          Hmmm, advertising baked in the Kernel.
          Please select all the FIRETRUCKS in the images below to ensure you are human before I hand off PID1 to systemd.

Comment

As long as I don't get to see which benefits I might get as a user of Fuchsia, it is hard to assess why I should care about it today. They also don't seek contributions to Zirkon yet.

Comment

WireGuard for Fuchsia soon I guess.

Comment

Fuchsia is designed to prioritize security, updatability, and performance
                Good. For a moment there I was worried they would prioritize user experience and other trifles.

Comment

Seems to me, that they want to replace Linux by something they can control.
                  Of course with their Data Mining "Services" hacked in. Perhaps not in short term, but in long term.

I think that will be no good for anyone but google. Just like Android, which is OS too.

Comment

Seems like a classical case of "not-invented-here" syndrome. And if you really cared about security, why would you rewrite all critical components from scratch with thousands of fresh bugs? It'll probably take more than a decade before Fuchsia could be called even remotely secure and that is assuming that it sees widespread use so anyone will even care to search for bugs and exploits...

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                      Seems like a classical case of "not-invented-here" syndrome. And if you really cared about security, why would you rewrite all critical components from scratch with thousands of fresh bugs? It'll probably take more than a decade before Fuchsia could be called even remotely secure and that is assuming that it sees widespread use so anyone will even care to search for bugs and exploits...
                      Fuchsia has a brand new object capability-based security model. The only feasible way to do it is by starting a new OS from scratch. It will take long but I hope they succeed and eventually we can replace the current generation of OSes with it, as security in every OS right now is an unwieldy mess.

Comment

Working...
                      X