Rust-Written Redox OS Now Supports GDB Debugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus Christ!!
    I stopped reading the discussion somewhere at page 4 or 5...

It seems we have new holly war going on?!?!

People! you all have right from your own point of view, and yet none of you have the complete picture, just because you are so entrenched in your own point-of-view...

luckily the world is big and colorful enough, so there is living space for C/C++, Java, Rust, Go, Basic, C#, JavaScript, WASM, HTML (:-P)...

Once upon a time, I saw a quote that become my signature and explains the world in one sentence: "On the eighth day, God started to debug..."

Peace...
    Last edited by Stupido; 29 July 2020, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
      This is a big deal, Microsoft did an internal survey and figured out that 70% of their security issues are due to their crap programming skills in C/C++
      Fixed that. Their OS is also insecure by design.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Fanboy detected. Tell me when your 'secure OS' starts using signed drivers.. random 3rd party repos ain't it

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          Looks like we are dealing with 2 issues here:
          1)fans of penguine do not tolerate anything that could turn into competition
          2)for certain set of people performance is more important than safety. That they go bash Intel CPU's in the next thread is hypocrisy, is lost to them.
          Looks like we have a problem with bsdead fanboys here. The first one is delusional, because redox is just a toy OS (to forestall stupid argument: 30 years ago operating systems were incomparably less advanced and hardware was very limited, so it was easier to create system like Linux and became successful). The second one is delusional as well. Do you claim rust will magically fix intel CPUs vulnerabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

You can try the official "Rust by Example" tutorial
            https://doc.rust-lang.org/stable/rust-by-example/
            Thanks, will try.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Insulting their developers doesn't make my system at work more stable. What do you propose they do about that?

Comment

Originally posted by gnulinux82

Find some decent programmers. Rust won't save them.
                Tools are used and better tools are invented by human beings, and enable more people to do better job.
                If tooling was never improved, you could never train people to create more advanced product.
                Rust could surely save some people's life better than C/C++.

Comment

Find some decent programmers. Rust won't save them.
                  Rust won't save them from...you're missing an accusative noun. Rust won't save them from...memory errors?

Yes, it will.

Comment

There was a time when a program would have to be written in pure assembly. Then C came along and you had to trust that the compiler was successfully porting your code to the process architecture.

I don't think that C is a language for people who don't know how to write assembly. Why write assembly when your compiler does the work?

There is was a time when a program (if they want it to be fast) would have to be written with manual memory management. Then Rust came along and put that in the compiler.

It seems to me that gnulinux82 is just complaining because it's popular. If you don't understand why it's popular, then perhaps it just doesn't solve any problems for you. That doesn't invalidate its usefulness for others.

Comment

No, it won't.
                      Go on...

Comment

Working...
                      X