Deblobbed BSD Flavor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deblobbed BSD Flavor ?

Is there such a thing as a BSD flavor that is similar to Trisquel or Parabola in which all non free elements have been scrubbed from the kernel ? I found Liberty BSD but it seems to be dormant and no longer developed. Hyperbola seems to be working on deblobbing the OpenBSD kernel but as best I can tell they aren't finished and haven't released it for download yet.

Why not just use LibreLinux? Or some BSD on hardware that does not require any blobs (older Radeon GPU, Atheros wifi). When there's no blob-requiring hardware in your machine, there's no need to load up any to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      Why not just use LibreLinux? Or some BSD on hardware that does not require any blobs (older Radeon GPU, Atheros wifi). When there's no blob-requiring hardware in your machine, there's no need to load up any to begin with.
      That would have to be some really old AMD GPU. Even my old HD4350 doesn't work on libre kernels due to needing blobs for firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post

That would have to be some really old AMD GPU. Even my old HD4350 doesn't work on libre kernels due to needing blobs for firmware.
        Probably Rage or smth like that, really old, yea. Or you could just roll with more modern card and run it over scfb (System Console Frame Buffer) driver. In that, I'd go with FreeBSD or DragonFly, but that's me. OpenBSD is likely "more private" but I can't stand their file system.

Comment

Working...
        X